Help! My 3 month old was just up for 4 hours straight (which she never does) and screamed for about 70% of it.

My 3 month old is on a great schedule. She naps for 2 hours, is up for an hour and a half, naps for 2 hours, up for an hour and a half (etc etc all day long) and then sleeps for 8-9 hours straight at night. TONIGHT however, she just screamed for almost 4 straight hours...no fever, is not sick (that I am aware of), and I don't think she's teething. Nothing seemed to work to sooth her...fed her, tried going on a walk, swing, rock, binkie. She finally fell asleep as my husband put her in her car seet and swung her side to side....after having been up for 4 straight hours! I feel ready to pull my hair out. Either her tummy is upset or maybe it's too hot (was 85 degrees today)...I don't know but I feel so spent. I worked a 10 hour day and then took care of my (sweet) screaming baby for 4 hours. I could just cry myself.

kelsie416

Asked by kelsie416 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son gets really cranky when his schedule is off. he is up from like 10-2 and naps from 2-5 and sleeps 8 hrs at night but today we were out when itwas his naptime and he cried the whole time until we got him home and laid him down in his crib
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• she might have to poop and can't or she has gas in her belly and can't let it out, and that can get a baby really upset I know my son cries for hours if he can't poop
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:14 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Sounds like gas moma!
    j0shsmommie1

Answer by j0shsmommie1 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son did that when he was really little. What worked for me was to sit on the edge of the couch/bed and lay him on his stomach across my knees and move my legs back and forth...

My mom said she did that with me and my siblings when we had really bad tummy aches. I trust what my mom says...she raised 8 kids lol :)
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 9:14 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Sounds like colic is developing. This is about the age it starts and the symptoms show up more in the evenings than any other time.
    I tried everything with my kids to sooth them including running the vaccuum cleaner nonstop for several hours at a time. (We were desperate). This is a horrible time, but it will pass soon.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My thoughts are teething or she has eaten something that didn't agree with her.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 11:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2009