would you

Ok my son will be a year in a few days. He was born at 31 weeks and was only 2 lbs at birth. I have alway been over protective of him because both of us almost died at his birth. His grandpa keeps bugging me to let him spend the night over his house. Here is the problem though. His grandpa drinks ever night (and wont give it up for even one night) and I am scared to leave him there. He is a great guy (husbands dad) and I love him but he falls down all the time when he drinks, he has almost burnt his house down 3 times now in the last year. My hubbies whole side of the family has turned aginst me and says it just because i dont like them and that I am being over protective of him. I feel that unless he can give up drink just while my son is there then he shouldnt be aloud to watch him alone. I just am wondering if you all think I am being over protective of him? I think I am just tring to look out for his safty.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• op- i do let him stay at his other grand parents house during the day with out me being there, i just am afraid of what can happen to him being around someone i think cant even take care of them self
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If he couldn't stop drinking for the night, I wounld. You never know what could happen.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• He wont stop drinking i have asked him and told him that if he did he could spend the night but he wont..... he says that he should have too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would never ever, what if he was holding him while he was drunk trying to walk and fell with him or just anything in that matter, or if something happend to your son while his grandpa was drunk, I say ignore them and stick to your guns cuz God forbid if anything happend to your son while he was overthere would his family give you sons life back, no, I hate it when people stick there nose were it don' belong, you a good mamma for looking out for your son saftey
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:20 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• No absolutely not. You are responsible for that child's safety and when you are not around the person watching them is responsible. This person has shown that he is not responsible for himself and therefore not able to watch your child. He has a choice, don't drink for that night and watch his grandchild, or drink and stay by himself. That's pretty sad that he needs that drink so mush he would choose it over his grandchild. Tell the family members that and see what they say.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 1:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Is he seriously that drunk every time? Or are you just blowing it out of propotion and being overly protective? If he has a serious drinking problem, then no I wouldn't. But it is possible for him to have just one or two drinks and be OK?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• No, you are not being unreasonable. I would tell the other family to back off and butt out this is between fil and you/hubby not them! Unless THEY will also be spending the night with fil and give you a personal guarantee that they will make sure your son is safe. I would let fil know that as long as he is drinking your son will not be allowed over. You are looking out for your son and trying to keep him safe. He is also very young, maybe too young for overnights? (that could be a kinder excuse to use). If he keeps demanding overnights Remind him that he has fallen down-- what if you were holding Johnny and fell down on him?, remind him that he almost burned down the house - What if johnny was in there those times- he might have died.
    I hope your hubbys dad and family will see your side of this and back off.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:48 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't. Even if he didn't drink, I think that is way too young to have overnight visits.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009