Do you allow your kids to sleep over someone's house?

I am always a little apprehensive about letting them sleep over a friends house whether I know the family or not. No matter how well I think I know a family, or how much I like them, I always feel that I don't know them well enough to let my child sleep over their house.
That being said, I do allow it occassionaly. But it always freaks me out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Health

• My parents said no sleepovers and I hated them for it then, but now as the adult I plan to do the same thing with my kids when they're old enough.  You just never know what's going on and it's easier to say no to everyone then explain yourself to the ones you say no to.

As a side note - a man that my family trusted and loved dearly turned out to be a child molester.  His victims were the girls that stayed over at his house.  You can never be too careful.

justamomHA

Answer by justamomHA at 1:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ok I completely understand. I haven't let my kids stay anywhere but my mothers house and felt comfortable about it. I usually end up calling my mother in law 10 times when she has them! I think it is the culture we have created for ourselves that fosters this extreme paranoia we feel about letting our children out of our site.
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 2:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I feel the same way but we have to let our kids live. I always meet the parents and scope their house, write down all phone numbers ect. If I get a bad impression when meeting the parents I wont let my DD stay over there but let her friend stay here. It is scary but we cant keep a hold of them forever. I wish we could.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• that and hearing about all the cases of childabuse. especially sexual child abuse. don't know if people are closet junkies or addicts, and whether the uncle they have visiting is drinking.
    Anonymous

• Yes mine spend the night with friends ( and grandma) occasionally. We are very particular about it though. We have to know the family VERY well.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yes, I do. As long as I know the parents, I do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• there must be something wrong with us. My husband and I love when our daughter sleeps at a friend's house and we get date night.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yes ours sleep over all the time and we also have their friends sleep over at our house regularly.
    momoftwins240

Answer by momoftwins240 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• As long as you know the family and home environment there is never a problem. Exchange all numbers and enjoy the ME time.
    paramedic-Jenn

Answer by paramedic-Jenn at 11:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2009