How can I get my son to stop sucking his thumb?

My son is 3yrs old and has sucked his thumb since he was 10m and now that he is getting older it has affected a little of his speech and is also having an affect on his upper teeth

steph2484

Asked by steph2484 at 2:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I kinda smacked (( Not hard at all )) his hand out of his mouth when he tried. My son and daughter doesn't suck their thumbs at all.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• dip or paint his thumb in cyanne pepper. He will stop because of the taste. Hot sauce works to.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I was a thumbsucker until I was probably 8. Nothing worked for me. My 4th child is a thumbsucker - he is the first out of my kids. He's only 5 mos right now. I asked my pediatrician about it, and he told me not to do ANYTHING until he is 5 years old. Then at his 5 year check up, (if he's still sucking his thumb), my ped. will tell him it's time to stop. He said 9 out of 10 kids will stop. When I told him how I didn't stop till I was 8, he said someone probably tried to make me stop. And he's right.
    Obviously - if it's affecting his speech, talk to your pediatrician about it. But be careful - sometimes trying to get them to stop, will make them want it more (like with me). Good luck!
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 12:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I was also a thumbsucker until I was 8. My parents tried EVERYTHING - pepper, wart remover... and things I don't remember... NOTHING worked! I agree - just wait to see what your dr has to say.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'm sure you wouldn't want to do this...but ...my dd sucked her thumb until she was 7, when she got her thumb slammed in a door and had to wear a little brace thing on it...I actually used the brace alittle longer than the dr said....and finally she quit!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• dip his fingure/thumb in vingure it worked for my child and it also works well for missbehaving problems.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Take your kid to the dentist. Nothing worked for me until I got something to block my thumb from the dentist.
    squish

Answer by squish at 9:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009