Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle a child with ADHD, Bipolar, ODD, and GAD?

We have tried several different approaches and medicines and I am having trouble getting him to concentrate at school still. We are also having problems with his attitude and behavior at home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It is very hard and you have to keep working with him. I know that some kids needs meds but be very careful on what you give him. Do research on the meds because some of them are not FDA approved and can actually make your child worse. I know seroquel is a med that is not FDA approved and is not good to have your child on. They put my son on it and it made him worse than I looked it up and found out why. Just hang in there things will eventually get better with consistency.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Preaching to the choir! My answer will probaby not be helpful. My son was on Ritalin, but it made him more depressed but manageable. Then we took him off that and put him on Zoloft. That made him suicidal. He is 13. I have decided to homeschool next year as he is sooo far behind in where he is supposed to be. At home he is belligerent and emotional. The only thing I can tell you is consistancy and regimine help alot.
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 2:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You just described my friends 14 yr old daughter. Your child needs a combonation of medication, especially for the Bipolar and counseling. Your child needs to be taught ways to control his feelings before they get out of hand. If Bipolar goes untreated you will end up with major problems. My friends daughter has just been released from the hospital for the 4th time since January because of the Bipolar, GAD and PTSD. Please don't wait, fool around or try other means of treatment, your child needs help NOW. It will take time and consistency to find the correct meds and treatment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'm Bipoloar and my parents did nothing to help me until I was 13 and told a school counselor I thought I needed therapy beause I thought about killing myself all the time. Medication doesn't always work but I am a HUGE advocate of therapy. For me at least it made a huge improvement with how I viewed myself. It's not an easy thing to go through. There isn't always a reason why you get upset or mad. and it makes you feel like garbage sometimes.
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 3:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Those are some heavy diagnoses... In my opinion I would get a second opinion and have him evaluated by a child psychologist and psychiatrist. (I'm not saying this is you) There are so many doctors in our time that are SO quick to medicate kids, instead of letting kids be kids.

With that being said, my father was and my sister & brother are bipolar. My husband is ADD and has GAD and i also suffer from some depression. After you get evaluated, it is just time trials and being patient and loving. Praise God that you care enough to notice, so many kids do need care, and are neglected while there are those who are over medicated!

Don't think you are doing anything wrong. Just keep going - keep loving unconditionally and be patient.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009