can a boy and girl sister and brother share a room 4 to 5 years apart.. comfortably?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• depends on the age, most states wont let girls and boys share room if they are past the age of 8..... my son and daughter do but they are only 13 months apart
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• really? i had no clue there was a law.

ask the older sibling if s/he'd mind sharing. i also think it depends on who's older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• yes there are laws...google search siblings of different gender in the same room law and see what comes up. u might have to change the wording but there are laws, yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• well now how does the state know if your boy and girl are sharing a room? go to an office supply store and buy a room divider, the kind they use in offices to make cubicales.place it in the middle of the room with the beds up against each side of the divider wall.
    bunk beds are good as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree that it depends on the age. Once one of the children hit the age of 8, they need to have their own rooms. And yes there are laws. The only way the state would find out about room sharing is if someone reported it though but still...the put these laws in place for a reason not just for the hell of it...and I'd hate to know what that reason was.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:23 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I don't think so.....I think the age difference and the gender difference would make it very hard for them. Of course, if you have no choice, you have no choice. If you have a choice, put them in separate rooms. Or at least divide the room in some way.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would ask the kids. My kids are only a year apart each but they share a room (2 girls ages 9 and 6 1/2 and a boy aged 7 1/2). But before they decided on this arrangement my son was going to share a room with his baby sister. He's 4 1/2 years older then her and he was excited about the idea. He was almost 6 and she was like 17 months when we were making this decision (2 bedrooms, 4 kids and only one of them is a boy). He still might have to share with her in the future. He doesn't care. He loves his little sister.
    And there are no laws against this. That is for foster parents or people with kids in the system.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• There is no such law that that says they can't (UNLESS they are foster kids). It's ridiculous to think that the government could issue such a dictate without backing it up for funding to those who would need more bedrooms because they have opposite gender kids.

It's up to you and your kids I would say. What's their comfort level? I shared with my brother untli I was 11 and my kids (14 and 15) share. They argue and bicker sometimes but they make it work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Probaly not, there is too much age difference, the older one would always be complaining that the younger one was getting into their stuff or bugging them, this is true even if they are the same sex and that far apart in age. There are laws about this too.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009