my son was born early nov.. should i enroll him at four yrs ten mnths to kindergardern or five years ten months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• i would say 4 years 10 month,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Was he born in October? I was five when I started and I turned six in October. I had to because they had a birthday cut off date and I was after it so had to wait another year. To me, four is too young, but I don't know how advanced your son is. My son was born in October and he'll be five when he starts irreguardless of whether there's a cut off date or not.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• my dd was born early november as well.... idk when I'm going to have her go in. If there is a cut off date (like needs to be 5 by Sept 10th) then we will have to wait until she's 5 yrs, 10 mos.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I started my twins at four expecting they would have to redo a year of kindergarten. My son had to do an extra year, but it actually helped his self esteem and my daughter is one of the youngest in her 2nd grade class. She will be seven in November. :)
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 3:14 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My oldest was born in late October and I waited until she was 5 to start kindergarten. She was most definitely ready to go when she was 4, but in my opinion that was too early. I considered many different factors....in jr high and high school she would possibly hit puberty later, be the very last of her friends to get her license (meaning she would be riding with them), she would be 17 when she graduated and she may have been behind in some of the social aspects of school life. I decided that even though she was beyond ready for kindergarten, in the long run it may have been more detrimental to her. I have not regretted my decision at all and I intend to do the same with my youngest daughter as well. I know it's a tough choice to make, good luck to you.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 3:20 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son will be 5 in oct. he won't be going to school until next year. why push it only to have him held back sometime down the line.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• okay so i was born early december and i BARELY missed the cut off date (at the time it was december 2nd and i was born december 6th) and my mom decided to just enroll me for the year i was supposed to be enrolled and i would not have had it any other way. i grew up too fast as it was, if i personally had to grow up faster (like graduate a year earlier than i did) who is to say how i would turn out. but if i was born dec 1st she probably wouldnt have, so i suppose i'm not the best to say :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• It depends on the maturity level of your child and also on the school system they may not let you put him in kindergarten if they have a cut off date earlier than his bday. My nephew just barely made the cutoff date and he ended up repeating kindergarten, like goddessmom and her son, my nephew's self esteem and social skills actually improved by redoing kindergarten when he was older. You know your child best, I say go with your gut.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 4:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• most schools wont let you enroll unless the child is 5 as of a certain date. my niece was born mid october and couldn't enroll until the year following turning 5.call the local school and ask....but if you can get away with it...the earlier the better, if you can't try a preschool so at least they can still learn and be ahead of the game
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 6:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• there has been research done to suggest that a boy does batter if started later rather than sooner as for the self esteem and social skills preschool is the best for that they have a guild line to follow to prepar the little ones for everythoing they need to know to start school they have the routine of going to school everyday and they are socialized with kids how will be with them till the day they graduate if not longer i also think that kids only have so many yrs to be a kid so why deny him that life with no responsibility or worries he will never have that again
    shannonnlotuz

Answer by shannonnlotuz at 6:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2009