• In the Spotlight:

Where can I get tips and exercises to help my son stand and walk?

My son is almost 16 months and is still having issues with his mobility. I know all kids do things at different ages, but he gets frustrated when he can't do it. He has begun crawling and can take little steps if I hold him up, but he can't even pull himself to standing. Any advise?

Mary_CoreysMom

Asked by Mary_CoreysMom at 3:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As PP's said, if your son isn't allowed to practice these skills, he won't improve. Some kids use bumbo seats so much that they don't develop the skills to sit up, the basics to learning balance for standing and walking. Also, tummy time is important! It helps them develop muscles along the spine. Put him on his belly with a favorite toy just out of his reach. If he gets a little frustrated, it's ok. It is only motivation for him to improve his mobility to reach that toy. Let him work to get it, play with it for a bit and then put another toy just out of reach. Don't make it so far away that he can't get to it with a little work, but don't make it so easy that he doesn't have to put forth some effort. As he improves, put a pillow in the way for a "baby obstacle course." Any activity center that encourages safe standing is good, like an exersaucer. (Lots of evidence against walkers, but we used one and my son LOVED it.) Cont...
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• does he have a lot of play time? I've been reading baby books from FIRST5 and it talks about reaching for things like toys slowly grows arm muscles. also let him crawl a lot that will help his muscles. If u pick him up all of the time he doesnt have the chance to get better at anything, just bringing that up because I was a nanny and the parents of this one boy always held him so he didnt get a chance to build muscles. Good Luck
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i would talk to your docters my son had the same problem ,hes two and can only walk with support.
    joses_mommy_526

Answer by joses_mommy_526 at 5:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You state should have a first steps or early intervention program. Even if you son doesn't qualify for services the therapist could make some suggestions to help.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 8:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• ...Cont
    "Baby lifts" are fun for too, although not right after eating, for obvious risks to you. lol Lay on your back, put baby face down on your belly and then gently lift them in the air holding him at trunk. He will extend his trunk and his arms and legs (like Superman) and have fun depending on how many silly faces and noises you make. Do as many repetitions as he enjoys, holding him up there for a few seconds longer as his endurance increases. You'll know when he gets tired as he won't extend as much or he might get fussy. You can do this several times over the course of the day. It will help your arm and chest strength, and help firm up those boobies after breast feeding, always a bonus. ;-)
    Finally, talk to your doctor. The earlier he gets intervention IF NEEDED (physical or occupational therapy), the less he will be affected long term. Good for you for thinking about this and trying to do something about it!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2009