Why do so many women believe everything their doc says rather than researching on their own?

In reading through comments on polls and questions, I amazed how many women say they got this or that intervention in pregnancy/childbirth "because my doctor said..." and they completely believe because the doctor said it, that their bodies were defective and they couldn't have done without. Statistically, it is impossible for so many women to be unable to have children. I know there are some moms who don't care as long as they can have the most comfortable delivery possible, but I certainly don't believe that's always the case. Our country has a terrible record for OB health, so I just don't understand why every pregnant woman wouldn't want to be informed and make her own decisions based on the research. We have the freedom and access to information in our country that not everyone has, so why be satisfied to be driven like sheep, when it could truly endanger you baby???

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 6:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Because people are sheep and it takes too much time and effort to research anything not related to celebrities and Jerry Springer crap. And this train of thought applies to researching anything from buying a car or house to ob/gyn's. Then they want to complain because they either got lousy service or ripped off but yet ultimately they were the ones responsible for making an ill informed decision to begin with. Why do think this country is in the mess we're in? Personal responsibility is a foreign concept to many.
    magoogie

Answer by magoogie at 8:22 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• On the other side of the coin, there are an awful lot of people who will believe anything, as long as it isn't from someone in the "big medicine" industry. They will think critically when the source is conventional, and then completely turn off their brains when the source has no scientific training at all.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• A lot of people have complete faith and trust in their doctors. I know I was that way with my FIRST pregnancy, because I was terrified and needed to trust them. I started to become leary after her birth when I had high BP and the nurses were discussing amongst themselves about a patient who died on magnesium drip WHILE they were inserting it into my veins. My 2nd time around, they told me everything under the sun was wrong with my daughter and I should consider aborting her. She was born 10 lbs 2 ozs and perfectly healthy, although I did go through with the amniocentesis anyway. There are a lot of cases where women believe this and do abort their children and it's so sad because sometimes the doctors are 100% dead wrong, and my daughter is living proof of that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I admit I don't do the research on politics that I could, and even though I eat quite healthy, I could probably be more informed about diet. I could motivate myself more when it comes to exercise. I could study the Bible more. I could do a better job of keeping in touch with friends. For all of these things I have no excuse, but when it comes to having a BABY I consider myself INCREDIBLY RESPONSIBLE, and I could not live with myself if I left it up to someone else to tell me what's best!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Your question comes off as offensive to many women that do research their options, discuss what they've learned with their doctor and make an educated decision together with their doctor about what's best for them and their baby. Being a patient doesn't negate the fact that I can choose to disagree with my doctor's views if it is something that makes no sense to me.

In reference to the comment of "their bodies are defective". I imagine that comes from women who have had c-sections "because their doctor said so." Having survived cervical cancer and suffered a scarred cervix because of it; I had a c-section because it was life or death. I was educated about my options from the stand point of c-section vs vaginal. If I had chose to go through with vaginal delivery it would have meant internal bleeding and the baby and I both dying. Sometimes c-sections are a necessity.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i trust my ob with my life and the life of my baby, that's the reason i see him... he has been in practice for over 25 years and has taken very good care of me with my 1st pregnancy, and with this one, not everyone is as lucky as i am i guess. i have a degree in medical assisting and am pretty knowledgeable about alot of stuff, i don't think i have to research other birthing options if i am 100% comfortable having my children in the hospital under the supervision of my ob

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You know what Adel, it's not just politics it's everything. I love my sis and girlfriends but I can't tell you how many times they get ripped when they go to have their car worked on, or have no clue what insurance premiums are, how much they have set aside for their retirement etc. Granted some things are more important than others like your children, but I hate to see them as single moms without a leg to stand on because they have no clue deciphering what's a priority and what's not. But you better believe they can give you the run down on every character on Desperate Housewives, lol.
    magoogie

Answer by magoogie at 8:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I hear you! I wish women would do more research, but docs are treated like GODS in this country. Docs (especially OBs) treat patients like crap pretty often. It happened to me with several doctors - so now I do NOT trust any of them.

No matter what your health situation - pregnant or cancer treatment - you MUST be proactive with your health and research everything the doc says. Otherwise, you risk your own health!!
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 9:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Because we are not doctors. That's what they get paid to do and they go to school for a long time to know the things we don't. I see what you mean, though. If my doctor told me something that I felt uncomfortable with, or sounded a little off to me, I'd research it on my own. But if you're going to second guess every single thing your doctor tells you, what's the point in having one?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• On the other hand, why do so many dismiss what a doctors says because a website or book says other wise? I think research with an open mind is key. Doctors arent' always right, but they also aren't always wrong.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2009