God Parents... (This may be posted in the wrong section)

(no bashing please... I'm just looking for advice)
I was wondering, if I am not planning on baptising my baby, am I still suppose to find God parents for her? I am new to all of this and do not really go to church often but do believe in God.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have not baptis my DD and don't plan on it at all. So to answer your question no you don't have to find "GOD PARENTS". God parents are just to trusted people that god forbin if something happens to you and your SO/DH that they will raise and take care of your child. At least thats how it was explained to me.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• God Parents are the people who make a promise to you and God, that if something happens to you, the God parents are responsible for bringing your kids up with God in their lives.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• What does the Bible say about being a God-parent?

What does the Bible say about being a God-parent? How is serving as a God-parent (godfather) linked with baptism?
    www.gotquestions.org/God-parent.html
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I am Pagan, but I still have God-parents for my children. A god-parent is either someone who will take your children should both you and your DH die, or it is someone who promises to ensure they are raised in the same belief system as you have. The godparents of my children will do the latter, making sure that if anything happens to me, my children will still be educated in the same religious belief system I have. You don't necessarily have to have a baptism for that, or any ceremony really. Or if you don't want godparents, then you could simply have a guardian and leave the rest up to them.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:15 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I was actually wondering this same thing. I think I will probably ask one of my sisters, but we will not have a baptism for our daughter as we do not belong to a church or specific religion. I think it is still okay to ask someone to be the "Godparent". I think it is nice so everyone knows who you want your kids intrusted to should anything happen.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009