Leg cramps?

I am 28 weeks pregnant and for the past month I have been waking up in bed with a horrible pain in the back of my leg. It feels like someone is stabbing me. It only lasts for a very short while but it sucks. It usually happens when I stretch out my leg alot. What is this?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 7:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they are leg craps very normal with pregnancy try drinking more water through out the day and when they happen try flexing your ankle up and down and do stretches before bed GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• lol craps CRAMPS*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ouch!!! Those are called charlie horses and they suck bad. I used to get them often in my 2nd pregnancy. Rubbing the area hard and massaging it will help rub the cramp out. I used to feel them coming in my sleep and would lay completely still because the slightest movement will cause the muscle to tighten.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• s what you said...a horrible leg cramp....the joys of pregnancy....try to stretch before you go to bed.....other than that.......you really just have to deal with it......no fun is it....im 36 weeks almost 37 and trust me when i say it will only get worse....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• OMG I had those with my first one and I had no warning I would just wake up with severe pain in my leg good luck to you and yes stretch and drink lots of water
    aidensmom570

Answer by aidensmom570 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yes, charlie horses or leg cramps are painful. Stretching is very important while pregnant. The best thing to do is alot of stretching through the day. You can get rid of the pain right away by just standing up and stretching it out. hang in there momma it will pass, just remember to stretch, good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I have been having them for a month or so also!!! it sucks! They told me to drink alot of water and eat bananas and hopefully that would helo alittle.
    Mrs.Haswell

Answer by Mrs.Haswell at 11:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I get these all the time too. I try to stretch my legs before bed, or rotate your ankle around a few times while laying in bed. This helps stretch your leg too. If I get one I normally rub it and point my toes towards me not away. I've also heard that rubbing dish soap on it right away, will make it go away instantly, but sort of hard to do if you are in bed. Also, eat alot of bananas.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Its called charlie horses...cramps from the lack of potassium. Eat a couple bananas a day and they should lessen. I get these all the time; also stretching helps.
    pruden5956

Answer by pruden5956 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Those things sucks! Lucky for you, you have never had them before. I have had more being pregnant then not being pregnant!! Stretching has helped me!!
    Anonymous