Should schools do a better job teaching values and morals to our children?

Our children spend more than half the day in the schools. Shouldn't schools inculcate morals?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am amazed at some of the answers. Morals, values, ethics, even? No thank you. I will teach my children just as my parents taught me. You respect people, and you respect people's property. You say please, thank you, and excuse me. You don't steal, you don't gossip, and you certainly don't hurt other people's feelings. You value your education as it is the cornerstone of life. Ethics? I will also teach my children ethics. I teach them that they have to work for what they want in life. Nothing is free.

And, don't blame the public schools. Public schools do an excellent job given the circumstances most of them operate under. Little to no funding, underpaid and overworked teachers, and a general discourse from the public. Why? Because PARENTS REFUSE TO PARENT. If you think "public schools" are to blame for the lack of education in this country, try taking a look at the parents of this country. FAIL.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• No ,schools jobs is to educate our kids .Kids should get their morals & values at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think they should. I mean they don't need to go overboard since the PP was right about learning it at home, but I graduated high school just 5 years ago and some of the things that come out of the teacher's mouths teach kids it's ok to have zero respect for anyone and to treat the next person like a bag of shit. Maybe some of the teachers needs to learn some morals and values.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• An education is, or can be considered as teaching your kids right from wrong. The schools SHOULD teach kids the Basic set of morals. Dont cheat, Lie, steal, bully others, It SHOULD be taught in school because few parents today have the time to teach their kids respect of authority, much less morals.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:01 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• No. It's the parents job. Keep giving the schools more to teach and we might as wells just give up our rights as parents.

Also, not everyone has the same morals.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Elementary school aged children and up spend 40 hours per week in school....the other 128 hours are spent at home (88 when you eliminate hours sleeping). Therefore children spend more than TWICE as much time at home where PARENTS and other authority figures should be instilling the proper morals, values, and behaviors.

School should focus on "reading 'writing and 'rithmatic" and leave the "parenting" to the parents. Expecting the schools to do everything is ridiculous. You KNOW that if schools graded your children on morals, values and behavior, parents would be SCREAMING when their children received a failing grade! You can't have it both ways.

Of course, I also think children should be allowed to fail, and be held back a year, or forced to study the areas they failed over the summer. They should not be "pushed along" in order to keep up with their friends and peers, and not ruin their self-esteem!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I want my son to go to a Christian school because of the blatant lack of morality in regular schools these days.

I also think that the foundation of a good morality is built in the home, but that it can (and should) be supplemented by making wise schooling choices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yes, they should, although I don't know about a morals CLASS or CURRICULUM. Morals can be taught in every way a teacher influences a child. Morals can't be taught by teachers who don't have good characters. Teachers with bad characters shouldn't be teaching, but that probably won't change anytime soon. Be thankful for the few really good teachers out there, I guess.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:35 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Educators in this country spend have no choice but to take time out of teaching the rigorous standards of their state (reading, math, writing, science, social studies, and health) to not only teach morals which have not been taught at home (where values should come from) as well as self help items (how to wash your hands and how to wear deodorant). Should they... NO!!! But educators have to instill the foundations of living and getting along with others because parents do not. It is sad that parents in this country expect the public education to do it all for them. I even know of kindergarten teachers who are having to potty train children who do not have disabilities because parents think.... oh it can be taught at school. Yes, lazy parents.... public education will cover your but and do what you haven't for your child... but then don't complain how your child turned out or how little they learned academically in school.
    jmws2005

Answer by jmws2005 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yes and no. I have some teachers who taught me more about respect, and morals, than my mother ever did. Teachers shouldn't be MADE to teach morals, but they teach that there are consequences for your actions, just like the real world.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2009