taxes

i live in mass and we are getting a tax increase of 25%.does anyone know if this is acroos the board.right now we only get taxed on mechadise that is worth over 200.00$two hundred.....is this on all purchases on tv and cars and high tagged items???

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That would be due to your State run government health care program.....just more of what we can expect if ObamaCare were to pass!

From the article:

"Lawmakers on Friday approved a state budget for the next fiscal year that hikes the state's sales tax by 25 percent, raises the local motel tax by 50 percent and cuts almost every program in state government."

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/legislature_oks_25_sales_tax_b.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:21 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Pretty scary for us if UHC would happen to pass. fortunately its not likely.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ouch sales tax at 25% . Sounds like they need to make some cuts. How in the world do they expect to get more business with taxes like that? I know if mine went up to even 10-12% I would just hop over to MD, WV, or Vir. It is just an hour dirve to any of these places except md where it is a 40 min. drive. I can bet alot of people would do the same. Afterall. NJ, OHIO, and NY are not htat far wither and if your willing Deleware is only a 4 hour drive tax free!!!
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:40 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• New Hampshire has ALWAYS been the state for making big ticket purchases--cars, boats, RVs, HOMES, etc. NH does NOT have sales tax and unless it has changed recently doesn't have an income tax either! It's really is one of the last states to adhere to it's state's motto "Live free or die!" LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Lori don't exaggerate. The healthcare in Mass. isn't the sole reason for the budget shortfalls. And are you telling me you disagree with them providing employer contribution healthcare to state worker retirees?

Nana77500 many states have raised sales taxes to make up for budget shortfalls. Mainly because of the huge burden unemployment insurance has placed on states, and partially for other reasons.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• River-- You're right, it's NOT just the State run healthcare program that has spurred the need for increased taxes, it's programs like THIS, that have!

"Gov. Deval Patrick’s free wheels for welfare recipients program is revving up despite the stalled economy, as the keys to donated cars loaded with state-funded insurance, repairs and even AAA membership are handed out to get them to work. But the program - fueled by a funding boost despite the state’s fiscal crash - allows those who end up back on welfare to keep the cars anyway.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2009_05_07_Free_cars_for_poor_fuel_road_rage/srvc=home&position=also

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

•  

River-- You're right, it's NOT just the State run healthcare program that has spurred the need for increased taxes, it's programs like THIS, that have!

laughing     Love it LoriKeet!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• OP, I really feel for you guys.

Here in Oregon we have no sales tax. Don't get excited though, the state income tax will kill you. They just passed a nice fat increase too. Rates now are up to 11%. That means lots of us will be paying more than 50% in federal and state income taxes. That is before property taxes and all the little taxes on stuff like telephone, electricity, cell phones and such. AND it is before we even put a meal on the table or a roof over our heads.

I'm so happy though because the salmon are safe and they only had to cut 45 teachers from our district.......dripping sarcasm here.....
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I wonder why they ended up back on welfare Lori? Care to take a guess? :)

Here is a hint...the answer is in my 1st reply ;)

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 1:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Because they didn't take advantage of their handouts....get a job, work their asses off, go to school, finish their education, save their money, buy a home, work even harder to make it happen?!

Handouts don't guarantee success, working hard and educating yourself does! Look around you....why are projects in such disrepair...because the people didn'tdon't take care of them! The government gave them a place to live...they in turn trash it. Then complain they "never get nothin!"

My mother GAVE me my first car in May 1985, when I was 16 1/2--the day after I got my drivers license...it was a 1974 Dodge Dart, it cost her $350! I took such good care of that car, paid to insure it, garage it, oil changes, tune ups, tires, major repairs--even saved my hard earned money to get a new paint job, stereo, and other cute accessories--had that car until I graduated from graduate school in 1995! Because I APPRECIATED the hand out!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2009