How do I get mold/mildew off of my bathroom wall?

Ok so I live in a subsidized apartment and since these buildings are so old they do not have fans in the bathroom so everytime that we take a shower, the steam coats the walls and now the walls above the shower walls have little dark spots on them and I can't reach to scrub them and I cant very well put a step ladder in the tub. So my question is how do I get this off of the wall? And are there any products that you prefer for a job like this? Thanks to everyone in advance.

MissySue62

Asked by MissySue62 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Put half a gallon of warm water and a splash of chlorine bleach in a pail, and use a sponge mop to clean it off the walls. The bleach will kill any existing mildew spores. Note: wear clothes you don't like for this. Also, open the window for half an hour after showering to minimize new growth.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• By some soft scrub with bleach and a scrub brush and scrub it really good..You can use pure bleach too.

Answer by louise2 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The only way to get rid of mildew is to use bleach. You can do as the above poster says or you can also use Clorox clean up (though it's probably hard to spray on the ceiling). After showers open a window if you have one and maybe you can even just put a fan in the door way. Put it facing out so that the air (and any moisture) is being drawn out of the room.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• As the other moms have said bleach is the only thing that will get rid of the mold and mildew. I think your problem may also be, how to reach it....find something with a long handle, broom, mop, toliet brush, then tie a rag around the end and us that to reach.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I have always used steam to remove & keep at bay any mold and/or mildew in my home, including the bathrooms. If you have a steam cleaner with an extension, use it to reach the affected area and steam it clean. The steam will kill the mold right down it the spores in the wall and keep it from coming back quickly. Oh, and the steam from your steam cleaner is different than the steam from your shower - it is a dry steam that is very hot (hot enough to burn you), whereas the stuff from your shower is tepid and not hot enough to kill.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• to bad that you can't get a reach of the area to maybe get a small piece of the dry wall as to ensure that the mold isn't a bigger problem then what your describing. it can be very harmful and you indicating it's an old building then it would be a concern of mine. if the dry wall is very saturated with water then the mold will just keep coming back regardless of the bleach cleaning. maybe you should have the land lord bring someone out to check it for you just to make sure.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Okay thanks everyone. I used straight bleach and my Libman wonder mop and all but one spot came off. That one spot is like right in the spot where the wall and the ceiling meet so i cant get it with the mop but if I an find something flat that I can get in there I will do that. And for melody if this keeps coming back after all this then I will definately have the land lord check it out. Thanks for your concern. My neighbor who lives in the same building here next to me says she dosen't have the same problem so I'm hoping that its just surface mold/mildew. Thanks again to all of you for your help.
    MissySue62

Answer by MissySue62 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2009