Stepping on state's rights? or the right to bear arms?

WASHINGTON – Gun control and gun rights advocates are heading for another clash with a Senate vote on a measure that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry those hidden weapons into other states.

Backers, led by Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., say truckers and others with concealed weapons permits should be able to protect themselves when they cross into other states. Opponents say the measure would force states with strict procedures for getting permits to accept permits from states with more lax laws.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090722/ap_on_go_co/us_concealed_weapons;_ylt=AgOZJe2TrGDmha9y1YdWxPNv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTJuNDNhbG5uBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNzIyL3VzX2NvbmNlYWxlZF93ZWFwb25zBGNwb3MDNARwb3MDNARzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA3NlbmF0ZXRvdm90ZQ--

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• National Rifle Association chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox said the last two decades have shown a strong shift toward gun rights laws. "We believe it's time for Congress to acknowledge these changes and respect the right of self-defense, and the right of self-defense does not stop at state lines," he said.

Gun control groups were strongly in opposition.

Concealed handgun permit holders killed at least seven police officers and 44 private citizens during a two-year period ending in April, according to a study by the Violence Policy Center. "It is beyond irrational for Congress to vote to expand the reach of these deadly laws," said the center's legislative director, Kristen Rand.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:01 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• as long as its in plain view its not concidered concealed. i lay my shotgun across my back seat therefore its not concealed. i think if truckers throw it up in the dash its not considered concealed. thats how texas looks at it.
    hlmommy

Answer by hlmommy at 10:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think it's ridiculous that they're trying to make all these laws against guns. Guns don't kill people - people kill people. Selling guns to someone for hunting purposes or wanting to go to the shooting range or self-defense, whatever - doesn't mean that they are going to shoot somebody. They need to fix the laws they have and quit making new ones!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• So if only 7 officers and 44 private citizens were killed by people with a concealed weapon in a period of two years, that is probably less than 1% of all police officers and private citizens who were killed by a gun/rifle/machine gun the entire two years. How many people were killed otherwise? It's the bad guys that don't bother to register their guns, not the good guys. The criminals going to bear arms (and commit crimes) whether or not it's legal. Where's the right to defend yourself?

Gun control groups need to realize that the bad guys are going to have guns no matter how hard the control groups try to stop it. How 'bout letting the good guys legally carry a gun and level out the playing field.
    Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 10:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• We need guns to protect ourselves from those who ignore the laws. Before the Taliban took over Afghanistan and put all women under house arrest including female doctors they took away the guns. Do you want to be in a situation where you can't defend yourself from criminals? What if those criminals took over our government?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• There needs to be a national certification process where individuals who are granted the carry permit can have country-wide indemnity related to the permit. I agree that the purpose of the 2nd amendment is to give law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves, family and property. But it isn't the law abiding folks we need to worry about--it is the groups who steal the weapons or come to own them illegally. I believe this is the crux on which the debate teeters. I went through the entire process here in California and can carry if I so choose, but I can't take my gun a pinky toe into Nevada or Arizona (both Wild West States where firearms can be carried as long as not concealed). But again, I am not the threat the factions are worried about. It isn't an easy debate to have. I do believe we won't lose our rights--the Constitution won't be cancelled.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• In today's climate where the criminals can do anything they wish at gun point, why can't the potential victims be at least as armed as the violators? Shouldn't we stop creating future victims for the seedy element of our society? These people count on the fact that the Future Victims of America (FVA) are "too good" to carry anything which can be used as defense. They know the FVA will not fight back. The FVA make it incredibly easy for the criminals. This law takes that away from the criminals and lowers the membership of the FVA. Of course there will opposition to a bill which enables people to take back control of their lives if only from a bunch of criminals.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I support this. It is very clearly written and requires the carrier to comply with the gun laws of the state they are carrying in.

They don't want this because it will strengthen gun rights laws. Several states have passed laws allowing basically NO bans as long as the weapon or ammo was made in the state and not carried across state lines. The feds see this as a big problem and this new law would add some muscle to that.

People carry guns across state lines and through states all the time already and it is legal. The concealed carry allows them to carry it on their person or in their purse. It isn't unusual to have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a permit. I had a hard time getting one and I wanted it because I was assaulted. One of our church leaders carries, AT CHHURCH. We had had some problems with vagrants and she is often alone at the church.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I carry across state lines with a ccp and don't really give a sh!t one way or the other what the government thinks about it. I get a lot of flack from friends to the tune of "omg if you get caught with that you're in so much trouble". Question is what's more important to me, defending my life if need be or worrying about what the government thinks?
    Anonymous