How old was your lo when they could drink from a sippee with a straw?

Any tips on teaching them how to do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 7 or 8 months. she didn't know how to use a sipp, but got the straw right off as she didn't have to lift it to drink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son started using a sippy at 6 months and drinking out of a straw at 7 months. I just kept letting him try to drink out of a straw until he got it. My daughter the same. Sippy though she is just learning and she is 10 months.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son does better with a straw than a sippy. He learned to use the straw around 10 months I think.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My kids were younger then a year when they drank from a straw.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 11:21 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Mine didn't get it until about 17 months.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 11:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son was about a year old. He never took a sippy cup, he'd just get frustrated because the drink wouldn't come UP the spout. So we tried straws, but he had trouble with those at first, too. Then one day my husband had a milkshake, and my son wanted some, and that of all things was what got him drinking out of a straw. I would've thought that would be more difficult because it's so thick, but that's what did it. Just give yours time and eventually it'll happen. Keep offering it until it does. And if you're trying to use the no-spill ones, try a regular one, because the no-spill ones require them to suck a lot harder which could cause some frustration.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Mine just figured it out about 1-2 months ago and he's 18 months now.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son took awhile to get sippy cups and straws, but it helps if you try lots of brands, try to make the bottle switch in the middle of the day instead of in the morning or night since those bottles are most comforting, and if you demonstrate the cup with a lot of enthusiasm that will help too.

Good luck and don't worry if it takes awhile, it will happen in your kid's time frame.

Kim, from justamomha.com

justamomHA

Answer by justamomHA at 3:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son wouldn't take a regular sippy at all. We tried them around 4 months and he couldn't figure out how to tilt them. So we put him on the straw sippy, and he figured it out right away. That was at about 5 months and he has been drinking out of them since.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 9:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009