Any ideas for increasing lactation?

My milk production decreased dramatically and trying to get it back up. Any proven methods or ideas out there?

WANDY218

Asked by WANDY218 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• drink an O'Douls (non alcoholic beer) or try fenugreek!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i would try punping every 2 to 3 hours if baby doesn't seem 2 want 2 nurse that often. drink PLENTY of water especially while nursing.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Pumping every 2-3 hours, drink lots of water, there is an herb called Fenugreek that helps increase production and there is a tea called Mother's Milk tea that's supposed to help too. Make sure you're getting enough rest. Are you on BC pills? That is supposed to cause your supply to decrease, it did with my first one. There are also other meds and foods that can cause your supply to decrease. Take a look at what you're eating and what meds you're on ( if any) and do an internet search. Best of luck!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Fenugreek three times a day.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Go to the breastfeeding moms group here and read the sticky posts in the how to forum.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 11:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree, drink LOTS of water (40 oz a day or more). Feed or pump often and make sure you have a good pump, one that simulates baby. I like the Medela Pump in Style. I know it is expensive, but worth EVERY penny!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Fenugreek, water, and pump one side while feeding the other. Take the fenugreek until you smell like maple syrup! Oatmeal helps, get enough sleep too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Mothers Milk Tea, Fenugreek. See a lactation consultant. Probably not the case with you since you had milk at one point but for me my milk never came and the lactation consultant took my blood and was able to tell me that my prolactin level was so low that there was no sense in trying..... After she said that I was able to stop waking up every two hours during the night to pump (nothing)! But a lactation consultant should be available for free from the hospital you had the baby at and they can really help.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 1:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009