SMOKERS: How did you keep your mind off cigs and kick the habit while pregnant?

With my 1st I would become deathly ill if I even smelled them which made it so easy to quit. I just found out yesterday I am about 8 weeks pregnant and so far no sickness. I currently have cigs in my possession, but no lighter. I hold an un lit cig in my hand just for the feeling. It's not hard for me to quit smoking, it's hard to change the habit, the "free" time , and the schedule I have for smoking(morning, breaks, lunch, ride home, after dinner and bed). I refuse to smoke but jeeezam I am one grouchy mood swinging ::insert some crazy word here::.

Can you suggest some stuff to occupy myself with in the place where I use to smoke? I tried reading something or chewing gum when that time comes, but it just pisses me off more.

Any stories?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I quit when I found out I was pregnant with my 1st daughter in 2003. I smoked for the first 3-4 months. I promised myself my kids would never see me smoke and I just quit like that. Word searches and puzzles were my best friend. I did things I didn't normally do..especially things I wouldn't be able to smoke during. I haven't smoked since and I feel geat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I understand thank god when I am preg I am sick as a dog near smoke I would just try and chew gum or tell people to please dont smoke near me the smell will make you want one real bad I know its hard but you can do it lol Good Luck

mom-2b

Answer by mom-2b at 10:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Go for a walk. Ten minutes of walking (even around a parking lot) will take the edge off the desire, and it's good for you.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:57 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Sugar free lollipops or cinnamon gum helped me. I know it's hard...I remember how it felt! But I know you can do it! Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy! :)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yeah, with my first I would turn green and have to run for the nearest "porcelain god" every time I even smelled cigaretter smoke, so I had no trouble quitting. With my second I only had baby girl stuff, and needed some "boy" stuff, so I spent every minute of the time I would have normally spent outside smoking, inside making baby stuff, Crocheting a complicated pattern blue baby blanket took a lot of the time, but was well worth it. (Besides, that time I was really big over the summer, so it was a relief to be able to stay inside!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• For me it was easy to quit because i thought it was more important to have a healthy baby then to smoke. That was my way of quiting.
    missylove916

Answer by missylove916 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i started sucking on hard candy like all the time...and i just kept reminding myself that its for my baby...so now that im 36 wks i dont have an urge to smoke all the time just very few times...plus now when im around cig smoke it makes me sick to my stomach
    dilemma1

Answer by dilemma1 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I honestly had no trouble quitting,I had my first babies (twins) in August of '87,I found out I was pregnant and laid the cigs down the day I found out,quit cold turkey.I started smoking again when the boys were about three,big mistake,wish I had never picked it back up.I got pregnant again in '99 and quit again, my third son was born in Febuary of 2000 and hes nine years old and Im still smoke free.Good luck to you on quitting.It makes a world of difference!! : ) and congrats on your pregnancy.
    hunnybee1267

Answer by hunnybee1267 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• With my first baby I was very sick and hated the smell of smoke so it was very easy to quit but with this baby it is harder and I didn't even start smoking again between children. It is almost as if this baby is making me crave cigs. So, My husband found these E-cigs.. We saw them at a kiosk in our mall but you can also find them online. They are smokeless tobaccoless cigs, You can get them with little to no nicotine and they are harmless if you chose the ones with none. it feels looks and tastes like a real cig. And it is cheaper than real ones too! Hope you like them and they help you out =)
    MommyEmerson

Answer by MommyEmerson at 1:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• well while some mom are like oh it was easy for to quit because i didnt want to hurt my baby blah blah blah, thier need for it might not be the same as yours...it doesnt make u a bad mother at all, you can try getting a rubberband and putting it around ur wrist and snapping it everywtime u want one or the sucking on a hard candy/ sucker thing...i know ppl who are going through this and its really hard..smoking is a bad addiction and not easy to break in the least.. do ur best, ask ur ob if he can recommend anything hunny. best luck
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009