Sleep Training???

My 7 month old daughter has co-slept with us for most of her life. She was a breast-fed baby who liked to nurse throughout the night. I'm not even sure how often because I would just roll over and nurse her when she started to fuss and we'd both go back to sleep. Recently my husband and I have decided that the time has come for her to sleep in her own bed (right next to ours in our room). Over the past few weeks we have begun to give her a bottle and then lay her down in her bed to fall asleep at naptime and at bedtime. This has worked out well, but it's the middle of the night awakenings that are rough. The past 2 nights I have been up half the night trying to get her back to sleep. What's making this so difficult is that I now have to be on medicine that is not compatible with breastfeeding. She has always taken bottles of formula fine and still does during the day, but she expects to nurse during the night. WHAT DO I DO???

MamaApril2

Asked by MamaApril2 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What could be making it so difficult is that she is RIGHT next to you and can see you. If she has a bedroom of her own - I would put her in there - by herself at night. If she can't see you at all, she will learn to soothe herself. You are letting your 7 month old control you - instead of you controlling her.

At first, it will be very difficult - she may scream and cry for several nights... but she doesn't actually 'need' feedings at night after 6 months. I would try just leaving her, she will eventually cry herself asleep - and it will break your heart - but you will be grateful later! You certainly don't want a 10 year old sleeping with you & your husband.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree with the above poster, although my 4.5 mos. old just stopped waking up so much at night recently and she has been in her own room since 8 wks.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009