How can I make sure my DD ear's are pierced safely?

I'm getting my DD's ears pierced on Sat by a pediatrician (not her own) and I want to make sure they are done safely. How can I assure that?

WANDY218

Asked by WANDY218 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just ignore the moms that say not to do it. It's not their baby, they have no right to tell you how to raise her.

Make sure the piercing tool is sterilized and/or brand new, never been used by anyone else. Make sure the earrings don't have fake metal, to lower the risk of allergic reaction. Make sure they sterilize everything and use gloves. Be right there and watch them do it so you can make sure they do it safely. I have no experience with piercing baby's ears so I really can't tell you exactly what to do, but just what I think you'd want to do.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Take her to a piercer with a needle, not the mall, not a doctor. Those guns are no good.

Really, the safest way is to wait until she's old enough to sit still for it.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 11:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• simple...don't do it.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I just had my dd ears done at her request in February... I was originally going to go do it at her pediatricians office...then an ER doctor I work with said to me and I quote "the best person is not necessarily the doctor it is the person who does it all the time" so I called the Drs office and asked how often he does it and he said about 20 per year... I called the lady at the Jewlery store and asked the same ? she said she does about 200 per month... so I went to the lady at the Jewlery store and so far have had no problems... I did however betadine wash her ears before we went allowing air dry to the store (then they did their alcohol routine) so she got a double cleaning
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Wait until she's old enough to make the decision for herself and care for them properly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would wait, otherwise I would take her to a piercer when she is old enough to request that she have it done. If you have to do it now, I would go to a piercer. Might mean you go to a tattoo shop. They are required BY LAW to have a safe, clean, NEW equipment every time. They would use a needle. The guns cause too much damage to the ears.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:47 AM on Jul. 22, 2009