introducing bottle: need help with nipple choice

I've tried introducing the bottle to my son for the past 2 weeks since I'm pumping and need to return to work soon. He is now 5 wks old. I've tried Avent, BornFree, and Mam nipples, but the flow is too fast even with their smallest sizes. Any suggestions?

LLL2009

Asked by LLL2009 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son loved the latex playtex (tee hee) nipples with the drop in liner bottles
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If YOU are the one giving the bottle, he most likely won't take anything. He knows you're there and would rather have it straight from the tap. Have someone else givt him the bottle while you're out of the house. I didn't use bottles much but my baby liked the NUK nipple. I have also heard that the breast flow bottles from the first years is really good because the baby has to work at it kind of like the breast. Good luck!
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 11:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I totally DISAGREE with aeharahan!

I breast fed my son, and also pumped and he would take it from both me and the bottle. I was also a sahm, so I didn't 'need' to bottle feed if I didn't want to. I just wanted to have options.

We used the Playtex Drop In bottles with the slow flow nipple. We always used that nipple, even when he was older & we stopped using a bottle all together at 18 months. We liked the Drop in's the best because they are the ONLY ones that get ALL of the air out of the bag (or bottle) to prevent gas.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:57 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Well first off, to answer the disagreement between aeharahan and ruttermama, you are both right. Some babies do not care how they are being fed and will go from breast to bottle to back again no matter who is feeding them with no problems, such as my DS. Other babies will only take a bottle if mom is no where in sight (or smell!). And some, like my DD will not take on at all. Reguardless, baby will not let itself starve. If they are hungry enough, they will take whatever is placed in front of them. I do recommend the NUK bottles, as they are the closest thing DD ever came to accepting and they have a very slow flow. If your LO refuses any type of bottle from anyone, you can use a cup. Good luck!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 1:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• When I tried to introduce a bottle so dad could take part, We used the Playtex (soft silicone) wide base, slow-flow nipple. Make sure it says both- wide base and slow flow. It should have the "slow flow" in the top right corner and the "wide base" across the bottom. It says the wide base is better for babies switching between breast and bottle.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Thanks everyone... I just ordered Dr. Brown's premie nipple from Amazon, but if that doesn't work, I'll try NUK and Playtex. The issue I'm having is really just a flow problem. My son accepts the bottle from me and my husband, but he gulps so vigorously that it sputters and spills everywhere.
    LLL2009

Answer by LLL2009 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2009