When did you start cereal??

I know everyone has differing opinions, but I am debating on when to start. Pedi said to try small amts at 4 mos, but I'm not sure I want to do that.... I am exclusively breastfeeding and she's growing fine! Just curious about other mama's!!

babyruby02

Asked by babyruby02 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started both of my girls around 3 or 4 months. I had too, they would drink and drink and drink, and never be satisfied. If your daughter seems content with just breast milk, I would let it at that, until she needs more. Trust me, you'll know when she's ready.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• A breastfed baby doesn't nutritionally NEED anything other than mommy's milk until at least a year old. Your doctor is giving outdated information. The AAP now recommends waiting until at least 6 months before introducing anything other than breastmilk. The cereal is full of artificial iron and vitamins that are not easily absorbed and can actually keep the iron and vitimins in your milk from being properly absorbed. I didn't give my baby cereal. We just gave him tastes of food about once a week from 6 1/2 months until about 9 months.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 11:23 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My toddler was physically ready for it at 5 months. You know, lost the tongue thrust reflex, could sit up, could get the food off the spoon, all that stuff. But he didn't really get into it until about 7 or 8 months, which, now that I think about it, was also when he started getting more active and moving around...there might be something to that. As long as she's growing and gaining weight appropriately, there's no need to push it until breastmilk alone isn't satisfying her any more, which might not be for months yet.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If you don't want to or don't feel comfortable with it, don't give her anything other than breastmilk. You don't HAVE to, they just recommend that if you're going to that you introduce it to them between 4-6 months.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• MY Ped recommended 4 months - SO that's what I did. My son was also exclusively breast fed, so I used expressed milk to mix with the cereal. I did that once a day for a while. Then moved to twice a day and made it a little thicker.

NO - he doesn't 'need' anything else - BUT - it gets them used to using a spoon and eating things other than sucking. It teaches them to use other muscles and learn new developmental skills.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I never started cereal. I won't go near that nasty stuff. Babies do not need it, and like a PP said, it is full of artificial crap that can interfere with the absorption of the real nutrients from your breastmilk. It is best to wait at least 6 months before introducing solids, and I would go straight to foods, not cereal. Also, remember to nurse first, solids are desert.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 1:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Your the mommy - go with your gut instinct. As long as your baby is thriving then you can wait until they are 6 months old before introducing cereal. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009