Can your child ride a bike? At what age did they learn?

My daughter is 7, & I am just doing a HORRIBLE job at teaching her how to ride a bike. I don't know how to teach her correctly. It does not help that there is no where close by that is flat enough to practice. All hills in my neighborhood, & there is always too many people at the park to ride around comfortably. Anyhow, she is kind of embarrassed that she cannot ride a bike yet, as most of her friends can. She taught herself how to swim at a young age, so i figured she could easily learn how to ride a bike. How old was your child when they learned how to ride? And does anyone have any techniques that they want to share on how to teach kids how to ride one?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 11:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• My middle daughter just learned the other day. She's 6 1/2. My son learned last summer at 6 1/2 and my oldest also learned last summer when she was almost 8. Her best friend is 10 and still can't ride without training wheels.

For the 6yo that just figured it out I had given her pointers about balance and riding. I taught her how to balance by putting the bike in the grass and having her lift her legs out to the side and see how long she can stay upright. Then I taught her about falling. If she feels like she is tipping stretch her leg out to the side and just let herself fall until her foot touched. Then I taught her to glide on the bike (just push without using the pedals). Then I just let her be. I went inside and let her practice and by the end of the day (this was Monday) she was riding up and down the street. Don't hold the bike or run next to her. Let her do it on her own time in her own way.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Mine were all around 7 and it wasn't anything I could teach. They just did it, they went from not being bale to do it to riding it like a pro.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:24 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My boys were about 5 when they learned to ride without training wheels. Does she do well with the training wheels? If so, raise them a little bit, then a little bit more so she has to balance herself, but has the back up of training wheels if she over balances. Once she gets good at balancing then take them off completely.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Mine learned at 3. We had to work with her on pushing the pedal in a dad start and stopiing but other then that she just did it. Get all the pads and helmet put her on a bike with training wheels and let her go. She will get it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My nephew just started a few weeks ago and he is 5. I was older than that when I learned (around 6 or 7 maybe)

I taught myself because my Dad kept freaking me out by running with me and then letting go!

I would go to a spot on my Grandparent's drive way that had a slight incline and at the top I'd sit on my bike and just lift my feet off the ground and try to balance while I glided down the hill. The better I got at gliding that way the more confident I got to lift my feet up higher. Eventually I put them on the peddles and glided with my feet on them. Finally I started peddling. It was slow, but I did it in an afternoon or so while no one was watching.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Well, my son is only 2 - so he isn't riding his bike yet. BUT - my nephews are 8 & 6 and both are.

The older one learned when he was about 5 1/2 & the younger couldn't stand that he couldn't do something his big brother could do... so ... he learned the at the same time - at 3 1/2!!!!!

Every kid is different. No worries!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• my daughter was 3 but i didnt teach her...she is stubborn and taught herself i just sat on the porch with bandaids and antibacterial spray
    girl_in_the_D

Answer by girl_in_the_D at 2:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2009