im worried about my active son starting school what can i do ?

im worried that my son will not be able to sit in class and will get in trouble with his teacher. i dont want him to start off the school year badly. He is not nearly as active as he was a few months because we changed his diet and changed use natural herbs to help him calm down. What can i do to prepare him mentaly. Should i talk to his teacher about my concerns ahead of time?I want him to do well.

grace985

Asked by grace985 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it were me I would start now getting him up at the time he will need to be up for school, have him dress and then head off to "school" at your table, let him have short times to do coloring and such... give him a break every 20 min or so... use a timer to help him see that time does move along.. I would try to plan his day to match what he would do at school ... line up to move from one place to the next ... give him "rest time" too. I would also talk to the school teacher a week before school starts... if you need to you can get him on an IEP or 504 to help make modifications to his day... this is something you can add in 1st or 2nd grade.... you might also look at having him run before school starts to release energy and let his mind start to focus on the work...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 11:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• talking to his teacher isnt a bad idea :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• sit him down let him know what is expected of him... cut out non-natural sugar sources.... if necessary take him to the park for 20 minutes before school to let him "run it out" I have been noticing teachers love to tell parents to put their kids on medications I HATE THAT....... It is really sad message me I can tell you some real life things that would make your head spin and your heart cry... my best friend is a K teacher in an inner city Atlanta school district
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:24 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If you have concerns, they should have been addressed with his pediatrician already. He should have been evaluated to see if there is a developmental problem.

Definitely speak to his teacher. Voice your concerns. It's past time to become proactive and help your son wit h more than just special "herbs" and diets. How are those things teaching him how to cope or control himself?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Make sure he has plenty of physical stimulation and is able to play out some energy. Do NOT fall for the "I have an active boy so he MUST have ADD." I'm not saying ADD doesn't exist - I'm just saying it is over applied. I have two boys ages 11 and 8 and you would not BELIEVE how many people thought my children had ADD when we are at the park. They don't have ADD; they like to be outside. I encourage them to behave like little boys outside.
    paralegal09

Answer by paralegal09 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• How active is active? Cutting sugar from his diet is a good thing not just to control hyperactivity, but has long lasting health benefits (prevent diabetes). I don't know about natural herbs used for a calming effect. I would contact your doctor to discuss his behavior and the use of herbal remedies that could potentially be harmful to young children. It is always a good idea to practice before doing. So get him ready for school by practicing now. And talking to his teacher about your concerns is always a good thing to do. Talk to your doctor first to rule out any developmental issues. If some exist then communicating these to your teacher & principal are key to your childs success as a student. I wish you the best of luck...
    Beca-smiles

Answer by Beca-smiles at 5:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My opinion is that his teacher has seen PLENTY of hyper kids pass through her classroom and you should remember that. I would skip talking to his teacher - my husband and I made the mistake of telling my stepson's kindergarten teacher about his unhappy circumstances with his biomom and spent the rest of the year re-assuring her that his active behavior was not acting out because of sad feelings about his mom. If you talk to his teacher she will keep a closer eye on him and may feel the need to bug you with every detail - and trust me - that gets old FAST. Just talk to him about what is expected at school, stay positive about it and send him on his way. If there is an issue his teacher will let you know. Most 6 year old boys have tons of energy - he won't be the only one!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009