Can I cash his check with out him being there?

Ok so my husband is at work and his check should be coming in the mail today and I have the car. I can't cash his check at the bank right now so I was going to take it to a currency exchange and then put money in the bank with it later (reason is I need it in the bank today and it takes like 3 days for it to clear with the bank).

So will I be able to cash it at the currency by myself? If I can what do I need to bring with me besides my ID and his ID?

Savanna22

Asked by Savanna22 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Not unless you have Power of Attorney.
    You could write on the back "For Deposit Only" and just deposit it into your bank account and draw off of it when it clears, but you cannot cash it for him. He has to do that.
    Sorry.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'm pretty sure you can only cash it if you have power of attorney and if you show proof of that.

On the other hand- I have written on the back of my husband's checks, "For deposit only into account # __________________________." And then I've deposited them into a joint checking account through an ATM.

I'm not sure if that would work for you- and I'm not even sure if it's legal- but I have done it.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Edit to my question: We have a joint account and what if the women actually knows me there? (at the currency exchange) and he already signed it? His mom is able to cash his checks so that is why I was thinking I would be able to if I brought our marriage license.

And I can't wait for it to clear, not in this case. Unless I want it going over and late fees every day till it clears.  

Savanna22

Answer by Savanna22 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Since the woman at the currency exchange place knows you she may do it for you....it's worth a try!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Its worth trying especially since everywhere has different policies. Since you're married and have the same last name it shouldn't be a problem I'd imagine.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You can deposit it, but they aren't supposed to give you money back on it. On the other hand, you can deposit it in one transaction and then make a withdrawal from your account in another transaction.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• as long as he signed it first it should not be a problem. I cash Checks in Jared's name all the time
    TaysMom041908

Answer by TaysMom041908 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I can cash my husbands checks all the time it depends who is at the window some make me sign the back too and some don't. We have a joint account also. Never heard of this power of attorney thing to cash your husbands check WEIRD
    myrtlebeach

Answer by myrtlebeach at 8:31 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• in Minnesota its illegal to cash anyone's check including your hubby's... I think its a felony even. haha I have done it though I just signed it over to myself and forged his name :) all the household money is the moms money anyways... right! :)

AmberMN

Answer by AmberMN at 12:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2009