Is this legal?

I ordered a product online. A free weight loss suplement, you just pay shipping. 2 weeks later I am charged $78. I call the company and tell them I was charged and they say its in the terms and conditions and if I don't want to keep receiving pills, I must cancel.

I state I didn't see that anywhere on the order page (as I had it up while speaking to them) They say its in the "small print". Well, I don't want it Can you get me a supervisor. There isn't one available and there isn't a seperate corporate number.

I called the bank and am refuting the charge, Is it legal for them to do that? This seems to be happening more and more...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If it was in the print, no matter how small, yes, they can do that and it is legal.  I know this has nothing to do with the question but why order diet pills from TV. Those things can be very dangerous! Wouldn't you want to talk to you Dr AND Pharmacies sell about 15 different kinds!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Husband wanted to try it, it was on the computer. I told the lady at the bank and she said refute the charges...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yeah I have heard of this happening and my friend went thru the bank and refused it and got the money back. I told that to my mother in law, and she still got some Acai diet pills by just paying shipping...hope this doesnt end up happening to her.
    vanessa432

Answer by vanessa432 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Nothing in life is free! How would a business stay in business if it gave everything away fro free? A free TRIAL should send up red flags! You should have read the fine print, because THAT is where the REAL cost of the product is, and it's USUALLY incredibly expensive!

With these kinds of scams you are often given a 14-21 day cancellation window--from the date your order is PLACED. By the time you actually receive the product it may be 10 days later, and by the time you try said product, you've already been billed for the next shipment. That's why they want your credit card number up front.

It's sneaky, but legal! They count on people not reading the fine print or pay attention to their credit card statements!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

THAT IS THE PILL! TELL TO CANCEL IMMEDIATELY or they will send her more!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• yeah happened to me too!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Sounds like you got suckered into one of those money making schemes. Yep. They put it in the fine print. Those bastards. You can try to refute the charges. It should only be for x amount of time. If you have to, call back and shake them up with a lawsuit threat. Keep harrassing them the way they harrass you. And tell you bank, they may refute, may not.
    Gothiclovesick

Answer by Gothiclovesick at 11:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Clearly this is illegal
    ToWillows1swan3

Answer by ToWillows1swan3 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yes, i think they can get away with it. My sister did the same thing shes sooo pissed. She order something online , then never even used it. It was supposed to be a free Sample. They didn't even give her directions on how to use the product ( which is why she never used it). When she called up to complain about the charges, the lady just repeated the same thing over , every question my sister asked the ladt would just say ., " per terms and conditions, per terms and conditions, per terms and conditions." She didn't even offer her advice on how to use the product.
    Its soooo messed up, how many people this happens too, it shouldn't be allowed.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• smilar situation. I ordered some workout videos, only 2. They kept sending me stuff and then charging my credit card. I kept calling and telling them i didn't order, and didn't sign up on any long term ordering thing, they said "no, you don't sign up, we just continue to send stuff and if you don't want it you send it back for a refund (minus shiping and handling both ways). After several calls, several time "canceling", i ended calling the bank and haveing my credit number reported as stolen, since they were still useing it without my permission. And if there was any small print...it's must have been pretty d*** small, b/c i'm a detail person, and i made sure when i ordered that i was only ordering the one time product, nothing more (or so i was told).
    Anonymous