Teaching my toddler, colors, alphabet, numbers?

I feel that I am way behind in teaching my son his colors, alphabet and numbers. I know this can't be done over night but I haven't even started. I am a very busy sahm and was wondering for those moms who home school how often should I take out of my schedule to start teaching him? Is an hour 3x a week good? Should it be everyday? Like I am homeschooling. I am really confused and often thought that I would be ready and able to teach my children the benefits of being at home. I so need HELP! Thanks.

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My best advice, don't teach it to him! My kids learned their colors, numbers and alphabet, without me ever having to sit down and formally teach it to them. Buy books about the things you want them to know, and read it to them. My boys love books, and would let me sit down and read to them everyday. When my oldest was born, I started reading to him on day one. I had alphabet books, color books, and number books, and by the time he was 14 months, he knew it all.

Don't stress over it, just make it fun for you and your kids. Take every opportunity to point out colors, numbers and the alphabet during your every day like as well. Buy some fruit loops and teach colors while eating breakfast. Take them to the grocery store and count with them the items in the cart. My son likes to count the aisles, or the numbers of registers. When looking at a picture, point out all the colors, and count the objects in the picture. Make it fun!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• the key to your child learning is - FACE TO FACE- not so much a time issue as it is looking at your child so he can see how you form your words... language is a learned skill and seeing is learning... lable everything, the "blue car" eating on the "red plate"... I would also do some sign language... it is easier for a child to do a physical motion when words are not there yet.... "more" is putting the hands together... use the word and hands at the same time.... a young child will not sit in a "school" setting so let life be the classroom....
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 12:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't worry - you aren't behind. Your little guy picks up more than we give them credit for! My 27 month old son knows all of his body parts & I find that amazing! I am also a SAHM & just make things like that part of our 'playing' together.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I don't homeschool but we bought flashcards at Wal-Mart for our son. We got the numbers up to 25, colors, abc, and small words. He can count to 15 now and knows his abcs up to P (He cant pronounce the Q so he just stops but we are working on it). The colors is what he is having problems with but we just started about a month ago and we just do it whenever we have some down time (Like during meals, before or after a nap, etc etc.) I leave the flashcards in the box and lay them around the house and then he will pick them up and bring them to me and we do them. It doesn't take much time to go through them just consistancy. GL
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Honestly, a lot of his teaching can be incorporated into your daily schedule. Make the learning a game. If he goes with you to the grocery store, point out all the red things in the produce section, or ask what color is *this*? Have him help you count your items going into the express line.

Stuck in traffic? Count all the cars of the same color and see how long it takes you to get to ten.

Washing dishes? Have him sit with you and say you're going to wash all the ____ color dishes first. Or how many bowls, plates, cups are there?

At that age, keep the games short, simple and easy. Toddlers get bored easily, so a game of 2-3 minutes each I would think to be ideal.

It may add some time to your chores, but by making the learning not only an applied skill, but a game, the knowledge seems (for my kids at least) to get retained faster and longer. (I mean, do WE enjoy rote learning? Of course not, so why would a toddler?)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If your son isn't used to being read to, and wont sit thru an entire book, don't worry about it. When my son hit about 2, he would sit thru books he knew, but when I would buy him a new book, he wouldn't sit for the entire book. Often he would get up off my lap and play with something else in the room. I would just continue reading the book out loud, so he was still hearing it. Eventually it became familiar, and he would sit and listen to the whole book.

Also a great DVD to teach letters and letter sounds is the LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD. Although my oldest knew all his uppercase letters by 14 months, he wasn't so good with the lowercase letters, or the sounds each letter made. When I started him in preschool at 4, the teacher recommended this DVD, and within a week, he knew all his letter sounds!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I never thought of the day to day as being lessons but yea I can see that too... We count EVERYTHING from how many grapes i give him for a snack to how many balls he can find in the house. When talking to him we tell him the color of the object and the name of it ex: "that's a nice red truck." and he knows his body parts from bathtime and getting dressed. And putting on shoes he knows his left foot and right foot.... So yea I agree that everything you do can be used as a teaching tool... Never thought of it as that since we've just always done it but yea... :)
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I bought foam letters and numbers that your toddler can play with in the bathtub. They are different colors and you can stick them to the side of your tub when they are wet. They're fun and educational at the same time!! I bought them at Walmart in the baby section.
    madelines_mom

Answer by madelines_mom at 12:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• OMG. That is stuff that is taught in pre-k, not something they're expected to know going into it! You're not behind.

Stop structured "learning time". They do not learn that way as toddlers. They learn through play. Play with him and label things. Read books. Get a Doodle Pro and draw. Coloring books and crayons. Let him be a kid!!

Forget about flash cards. Einstein never used flash cards! (good book, btw)
    Anonymous

• I have a website that I use actually use several to sit quietly with my daughter with. She's into identifying things now like butterflies and animals. Let me know if you're interested, I can find my list for you.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009