Has anyone had a toenail removed?

Did it grow back? How did it look when it grew back? I am supposed to have one removed becuase it is fungal, its really thick and it is loose and coming off. The nail bed is also infected.

What can I expect? Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Health

• I didn't have one removed by a doctor but I had it rip off when a door slammed on my foot. It grew back a little different but it's fine. just the inside of my big toe where it holds the nail is lose but it doesnt get caught on anything. It's fine. Expect a lot of pain...well I did have my ripped off so that might have hurt a little more but they will numb the area when they do it so you won't feel a thing...it does hurt for a while though like if you drop something on your toe...OUCH!!! so just be careful about that.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 12:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I had the corners of mine removed because of ingrown nails. It was very ocuhy.. They numbed it, but it was very sore afterwards for about a week or so. They did cauterize mine so they wouldn't grow back.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 1:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I have never had one removed personally, although I have seen many nail removals at the doctor's office that I work for. They will numb it for the procedure, but you may have some discomfort afterward. It will grow back (as long as it is not cauterized to prevent regrowth), but it takes a significant amount of time. Many times they grow back looking very much like the original nail, although sometimes there may be some ridging or other minor differences from the original nail. Best of luck to you. Just follow your doctor's instructions to the letter and everything will be fine.
    Anonymous