How do I get a brest exam without insurnace?

My husband is laid off right now. Therefore he and I do not have health insurance. **The kids are covered, so please no bashing** Anyway, my right breast has been hurting for about a month now, and it is starting to scare me. But how do I go to the doctor with no insurance? We don't have the money to pay out-of-pocket for anything. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Health

• all the planned parenthood places like that do it
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 12:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ooh, I didn't know that. Do they offer a sliding scale or something?
    Anonymous

• You might have to call...they did an exam for me back in 1997 and again in 2001 but it was just feeling around I was 17 and then 21 when they did it...I didn't have insurance and they just ask for a donation...I gave $5 each time.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 12:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You just make the appointment and go. Just because you don't have insurance doesn't mean they won't see you. Set up a payment plan - it's worth it. I'm insured, mostly, but for the stuff that's not covered, they're good about me making payments, even if it's just $10/month. I don't suggest anything other than your regular doctor for something like this - especially not planned parenthood or soemthing.
    Anonymous

• Also cancer doesnt HURT if you put your arm behind your head and feel around if you feel like a hard rock inside your breast that is cancer. But it's a hard feeling but if you have larger breasts sometimes you can't feel it...but it doesnt hurt at all. I'd say you might have strained a muscle or something. BUT STILL CHECK...Don't take this as me saying it's fine!! Just want to help ease your mind a little.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 12:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Call the toll free number for mammograms...Oh,and to the anon who said just make appt....must be nice to live in that area...we have to have $75 to get an appt.,cus once you show up,they want money. And as for planned parenthood/health dept.ideas...if you are not of childbearing years and you don't 'need' family planning,they won't see you anymore.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 12:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Well, I just called the Planned Parenthood by me. It is $59 to be seen for a breast exam. Which is doable. And if they feel like it is something that needs a mammogram, they can refer me to a place that would be low cost or free.

I can't go to my regular OBGYN - I already owe them $200 that I am paying on. :)
    Anonymous

• Hey I have something that might help you and your hubby out. You can get a discount Medical plan for ONLY $39.95 a month and it covers-Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription and Chiropractic. There is no qualifications or restrictions and all pre conditions accepted. It will cover everyone related or not in your household. It gives you discounts up to 80% off what you would pay. Let me know if I can help. I know my hubby's job doesn't offer benefits and I have these with the company because I work from home with them. Here is the website if you'd like to do a provider search and read more. www.MyBenefitsplus.com/ChristinaDennis you can also call me at 770-728-9938
    Good Luck girl and God Bless!!!
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 12:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Let's See.. I'm there with you! I have that Same pain & Feeling! Worry too! I didn't know my Bio mom but she was 47 & Died of Breast Cancer! But I'm Jobless & so is my DH. We can't Afford Anything! So let's Group together... We're not Alone! You're not Alone! Don't panic or Stess! Have you A Health & Human Services Agency? State Funded Health Care! Any Clinics? How about Calling the Susan B Koemen foundation for Breast Cancer & Research. They help sponsor A Free Breast Screening! Look into that! Also is ther any Well Women's Programs that Cover this! Like there's A place for Women 17-45. Then another Group for 45-64. I hope you can find something! I don't know your State or what Else to Say? But I Care!! I hope you find A way! Believe me I know all about "going Without"!! Doing without & Suffering... I don't want you or anyone to go through that! Any Health Fairs or Screenings in your Area? Good Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• "Also cancer doesnt HURT if you put your arm behind your head and feel around if you feel like a hard rock inside your breast that is cancer. But it's a hard feeling but if you have larger breasts sometimes you can't feel it...but it doesnt hurt at all. I'd say you might have strained a muscle or something. BUT STILL CHECK...Don't take this as me saying it's fine!! Just want to help ease your mind a little."

Actually, that's not true. My friends cousin brushed her breast across the counter and the pain made her almost black out. She went to the doctors and they found she has stage 3 breast cancer spread to all of her lymph nodes. Within 2 weeks she had her breast removed and is going through massive cancer treatments.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go get it checked out! Call around, you need to get checked out.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 12:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009