how do i get my 11 mth old to eat....all she wants is junk? and she throws her food on the floor? why?

clinn09

Asked by clinn09 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My dd wouldn't eat anything at lunch and dinner either, and I will say that it was my fault for giving her junk way too early. I found that she just has a sweet tooth so I give her fuit instead. I buy a huge variety of fruits and some veggies that she likes like tomatoes, green beans, collards, spinach. She also likes pasta and mac and cheese. Also try raisins.. Right now she won't eat meat except fish and chicken, so i try different ways to cook it. Also try well seasoned beans. There are different ways for your child to get what she needs so think outside the box.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 4:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Because you let her have junk food, apparently. Break the habit. Stop offering any junk food at all. Why would you have given it to her at such a young age anyway? Find some age appropriate food and she'll eventually give in.
    Anonymous

• She throws her food on the floor because she is learning physics. She is thinking "what will happen to this if i throw it?" I know it's annoying, but that is the reason why they throw. Once they learn that things land differently, she will try to throw all kinds of things. She will not eat healthy food because you gave her junk at too early of an age. My daughter did not have a single potato chip, or ice cream until she was 2 years old. She tried cake on her first birthday & hated it, because she was not used to it. Your going to have to let her get a bit hungry before you can change her eating habits. Only put healthy food on her plate, junk IS NOT an option. If you keep feeding her junk because you worry she won't eat anything, then she will continue her junk habit for life. Don't even give her the option to have junk, wipe it clean from her diet. Kids don't need it. That is why there are too many obese children.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• combine the bad food with the good food. You don't need to get rid of the junk food just keep reinforcing eating a nutritious food first and then give her the other food.

Throwing the food? I would guess that she is a good communicator" she is telling she doesn't want the the "good food". Perhaps she will grow up to be a Business woman. Just kidding mama!

You could also buy healthy food in a form of junk food there are many in the market.

Have a great day!
    Anonymous

• The throwing this is normal. My son is just now not doing this as much. (21 months old). He's been doing it the past year!

As for the healthy stuff, that's all you should give her. The junk and treats should only be on a special occasion or maybe when you have to stop at fast food or something. Even then, places have much healthier alternatives now.

My DS eats lots of stuff. Of course he prefers the junk but he gets what he gets on his plate. If he doesn' t eat very well, he waits until the next meal.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Dont give her the option of junk food anymore.. she will eat what you offer her eventually. If you feed her nothign but crap foods and what she likes now, that will be her pattern for life.. not a good one.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 1:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• By the end of next year, one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of our children will develop type 2 diabetes. Your child is headed down a a dangerous road (you are probably on the same one). Put on the brakes and turn the car around.

The main foods in your diet should be:
    Fruits
    Vegetables
    Whole grains
    Beans, lentils, tofu, and other legumes.

Give your baby avocado, cooked beans, baked sweet potato and other real foods. Get to the library, and pick up a copy of Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; it is the best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families.

Please educate yourself on nutrition, for your health and the health of your baby!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009