should he go back to college

My husband has 1 year of college under his belt. He is tired of living paycheck to paycheck and having to get a second job just to have spending money. Well he wants to go back to college but in order to do that, we have to take out student loans, he has to go full time, we have to put our plans of having a second child off for 3 years(we wanted our children to be no more than 3 years apart) and basically he will be working and going to school and so never seeing us.

I was for it but the more i think about it I am turning against it. The schedule he is set up for now is school every day from 8-2 and work from 3 to midnight. That only leaves him sleeping time and no family time. This is going to be for 3 years! I do not want to deny him his dreams but I am the one who brought going back to college up and then once he agreeed I guess I freaked out a little.
I just dont think having money later on is worth 3 years of our lif

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• And to make it worse, since our son has been born 22 months ago we have lived in 3 states and 4 houses. And had to file bankruptcy and started a business that went under a year ago. So it has been a stressfull 2 years and I just want to be settled down and just be able to enjoy each other. Our plan was to ttc next month but this was all before we made these plans.
    Anonymous

• Why does he have to go full time? Why can't he do part time for six years? How about some online classes?

I think it's important to finish college, we're living month to month while my hubby is in the military and I'm about to start my masters, and we hate it. I hate not having money in savings and not being able to go do things.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• For the loans, does he have to go full time or can he go part time? You are wise to consider the impact this will have on your marriage and family. He may or may not get a better job with a degree, considering what field it is in, and what good would it do if your family is separated?
    Anonymous

• What would he be doing on the weekends? If not working, he could have family time then. And if he has to work, just have him make sure he has at least one day off...even if he has to work that night and set time aside for family and you...even if it's just order a pizza and watch a movie with the kids. A little time is better than none.

And let him go back. If you hold him back, he might resent it for you later on. If you wanted to go back to school, you would want him to let you. Just let him know he needs to work in some time for you and the kids as well.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• That situation is very difficult. Have you considered working at all. I stay at home and I work part-part-part time. I have been an Independent Demonstrator for Gold Canyon since 2003. They have great specials, and sign up bonuses and incentives every month. I love it. It allows me the freedom to work when I want to. Around holidays, and special occasions in my family, etc. Plus, it so simple and fun too. If we want to do a little extra spending one month a just work a little bit more. For lots more info please visit www.mygc.com/inspirationalscents or www.goldcanyon.com. Let me know if you have any questions.
    I guess you both need to consider to pros and cons of each situation. Best of luck.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• This is the OP, I have considered working but in order to not have to pay daycare I would have to work the only time we have together....weekends and only make 7-8 an hour. My husband is making double that plus that is why he wants to work instead of me.

I would love to be a candle consultant but since we move so much I really just do not know many people where we live and so it is hard to have a party if you do not know anyone.

On the full time v part time...he is 26 and wants to graduate before he is 30 so he can start his career.
    Anonymous

• If you want to continue the gypsy life you've been living, don't let him go to college. If you want him to have less earning power and be less hireable, then don't let him go to college.

Even an AA will put him ahead. So have him finish THAT first. Then look beyond.

Short term pain, lifetime gain. Really. Mine didn't finish his AA either and that has held him back drastically. He's 50 years old and he really wishes he'd at least have finished his AA, because without at least that he isn't even considered for many jobs, even though he has years of experience.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• "I just dont think having money later on is worth 3 years of our lif"

Think of it as an investment, too...three years of your life in exchange for more security for the next 50 years.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009