Bad night-

I had a horrible night with my 20 month old last night - he was screaming hsyterically, we normally use the CIO Method but it was a different uncalmable cry for the past 45 minutes so I go in there, He's fine = he calms instantly - I rock and relax with him for a while and put him down again - he does the same thing - for another 30 minutes this time before his dad goes in there -we agree to have him try to sleep with me ( which he only has done 3 times prior when he was ill ) because his dad works nights and needed rest also -well, after 2 hours of him being restless, squirming, can't get enough animals, can't get comfy, blanket isn't right - me physically laying him down about 20 times i was OUT of patience... I grab all his things and put him back in his crib and go downstairs crying because I just lost it - I feel SO Guilty today for losing my patience.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• We have all those nights. We're tired, tried the comforting, loving stuff and it just doesn't work. You think you know all the cries but that one night just doesn't sit well with either of you. You try what you know has worked before and one night it didn't and neither of you are happy. It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it. I have had nights even with my son now who is 8. He's fussing and doesn't want to go to sleep and I'm too tired to argue about it and we both end up mad.

This too shall pass.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• check to see if he has a medical reason ... ears are the first thing ... try to let him sleep upright... it sounds like he is hurting someplace, the restlessness .... try to get a nap today... good luck...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 12:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Don't feel bad, you are human. You didn't hit or shake so good for you for knowing you reach your limit and giving yourself a time out.
    Now to a possible reason. Teetthing, growth spurt, to hot, cold or drafty in his room, learned a new skill and didn't want to be alone while he tries it, or getting sick. Does he calm down with you in the room? If so then get a blanket and a pillow and get comfy. Then he is comfotted by your presence, and not your touch and it isn't bed but it is sleep. Hopfully helping him to figure out he is to sleep in his crib. Reduce the time you spend in there each night.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My youngest does this I assume it is the begining of teething in her. I rock ehr back to a good sleep (20 min) and put her down to bed. If this doesn't work then a does of pain meds. and I rock her 15 min, for the meds to take effect and put her to bed. Usually between the two she sleeps. There were nights when she was frist teething that she wanted me to hold her alnight. After a few nights of me continueing to put her back into the crib after 20 mins or so, she took the hint. Good luck
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Don't worry. I think we've all been there. Sometimes kids just can't sleep too. My daughter woke up really early one morning. nothing wrong, just wide awake and was jumping on my bed, playing wtih the dog, but didnt' want to be alone and all I wanted to do was sleep for another hour! There's been a night or two as you describe where she just doesn't want to go to bed. Once I know she was overly tired the other ??? But next day she was fine. I ended up locking her in her room with the baby gate and going to bed crying. After about half an hour she played then at some point fell asleep. Next day she was fine. Just happens, I guess.
    Anonymous