How long are prescriptions good after being Expired?

My Glasses & Contacts are past 6 years old. I have old meds. for Migraines, Asthma, Coughs, Depression,pain & what not.. I'm unable to go in for any of my health needs. Old ones and my new health needs. So I'm curious how to know if any of these are any good? I think they're better then nothing. Like my old inhallers Etc.. I did go to A Free Clinic in the Spring. But Nothing was done for my Bad Bleeding issue. So its 6 Weeks today. Other Meds. I couldn't afford. But if I got Assistance paying for the meds. it was for one month only. Not the 6 mos. prescribed. So I have to see another regular Doctor. Which I can't afford. So I'm trying to live this Way & make Do. I know I'm not the only one. What do you do to get by?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 12:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Health

• Hey Linda,
    your old Rx's should be good for 6 mos or longer. some as long as 2 years. it's mostly the meds that are for seizure control or carefully regulated levels like thryoid and digoxin that need to be current all the time.
    julie
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• It depends on the medicine. Some are ok to take a few months after their expiration. Some, like antibiotics, lose their potency and are worthless. I would call your pharmacy and ask them, they would know about each specific medication. I know I've used my inhaler for a year after it expired, and it seemed to be fine.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You should NEVER take medications past the date of expiration.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the item. Eyewear should be replaced every 2 years, more often if you notice your vision changing drastically. If your eyewear has become blurry, etc. it may be better for your eyes to discontinue use. Eyewear that doesn't meet your needs can actually harm your vision worse than no eyewear at all!

Meds - ask your dr or pharmacist. Some meds simply lose effectiveness after the expiration date, but some become toxic!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Different prescriptions have different expirations. A pharmacist can guide you.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2009