2nd Jobs!! Help me out ladies!!

Me and my husband are doing pretty good financially. We both make enough to cover bills and have some left over. HOWEVER, we still owe 6200 in debt. Doesn't sound like much, but thats between a car and one credit card. I'm really trying to better our finances and make it better for the both of us and I want to get a second job. We are currently trying to get pregnant, and my stepson is only here thursday thru sunday so I won't be away THAT much more for him. But I will also have to get back on fertility meds I'm sure and those are quite costly.. My husband says he doesn't want me to work a second job and that he'd rather stay broke kind of, then be away from me. (sounds sweet i know) but at this point, we could use the extra income, especially if we do conceive anytime soon. What would you do? Work a 2nd job or no??

PeytonsMom21109

Asked by PeytonsMom21109 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• I work a second job and I'm expecting my first in 2 months. It is hard at first to get use to but you make it work and the extra income is always helpful. My SO doesn't really like me doing it but he understands that its my choice and it helps us out in the long run.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• think about owning your own internet business... then when baby is here you can be a stay at home mom with a great income... now would be a great time to start ... check out my business, let's see if it is something right for you .... www.blessingsbegin.com .... best of luck in your search... and the best hope on you expanding family...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 12:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• no. I found that with a second income comes more financial responsibllity and it's not worth it unless the money is fantastic. It cost more in gas and in food and most importantly time away from family. Personally, I think you should make payments on the card and car payment then make a half a payment before the next payment is due. That goes toward principle and not all toward interest. you pay off your bills faster and don't have to get a second job. If you get lump sums from rebates or returns then apply it all toward the principle (again saving you the cost of interest payments). Of all things, my dd taught me how to be a better bill payer that way. She paid off her house and all her credit cards that way. I thnk she financially rocks!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i wouldn't it takes nine or more months for your baby to get here and if you budget to pay the debt that is easier to pay off first then take the money that you were paying to the debt you just payed off and apply to the secoind debt will get it paid in no time. ever heard the saying that it if you wait for the right time to have a baby it never happens. i believe that is true. i got a second job once and it wasn't worth it to me and it didn't seem like i had anymore. plus with fertility meds the chances of having the baby soon is not so great. sounds like you have time to close the gap on the edbt before the baby is here.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'm currently working two jobs to keep us afloat, since DH is still unemployed (though it looks like that will change VERY soon).

Thing is, I *really* like the place where I'm working part time and when he's working again I'll actually have a tough time giving that up! I'm not so fond of the full time job although it gives us our insurance.

If the second job would just be grunt work, it might not be worth it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009