Low Progesterone and Pregnancy...

I am 22 yrs old and have low progesterone. My husband and I are looking to get pregnant early next year (I will be 23) with our first child. My ob/gyn informed me that that the low pregesterone levels could cause an issue with my pregnancy. Any one else have this issue and know if age or waiting until later could cause an issue?

Thank you.

LAMoody5

Asked by LAMoody5 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I had low progesterone levels at that age. I miscarried twice that we confirmed, and another 6+ that we suspect. Even after I conceived my oldest son, my progesterone levels were too low during the first half of my pregnancy. It was suggested that I be given shots of progesterone to decrease my miscarriage risk - however in male fetuses, it carries the risk of penile birth defects, so I refused the shots. My second son I had no such problems with my pregnancy, so perhaps age had some effect.

Side note: if you're TTC, make sure all your immunizations/immunities are current. I found out while I was pg that I had ZERO rubella immunity! Apparently an entire group of people my age don't because our MMR vaccinations as children were "a bad batch". Even if you decide not to get updated immunizations, by being forewarned, you can reduce your exposure risks.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Thank you for your advice. That is what I am scared of. A friend of mine had the same pro level and has miscarried 3 times since turning 34.
    LAMoody5

Answer by LAMoody5 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I wasn't aware of the chance of male birth defects. I won't say it isn't true, but it seems that taking shots of progesterone that your body should have been producing on it's own should not be a significant risk. I'm not a doctor, but that just seems logical to me. I did have the shots and my son had no birth defects.

I had one miscarriage while using progesterone suppositories. The next time I started taking shots by the time I was about 3 1/2 - 4 weeks pregnant. I still had some bleeding during the first trimester, but I carried the pregnancy to term. If progesterone is an issue you will need to have it monitored even before you can test for pregnancy. Even if your progesterone levels don't get worse with age, fertility naturally declines with age. If you wait until you are older, you may be facing additional issues that along with the progesterone issue might make conceiving and carrying a pregnancy even harder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2009