why would you ask a stranger?

am I the only one who thinks its weird that women on here ask complete strangers what they should name their baby?! I mean ask your DH/SO or family members, OR even your friends...I just think that is kinda weird. and I've noticed it has been getting worse. Why can't people come up with THEIR child's own name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i think people are just looking for opinions they probably got opinions for all the above listed and are looking for more....
    Anonymous

• They aren't giving a stranger free reign on naming their child, they're just asking for opinions.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• maybe they just want an outside opinion of how it sounds, or they really just cant think of any names and want to hear other new names they never thought of.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 1:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I can see why...perhaps you just want a wider perspective...make sure there isn't some oddity about the name that you overlooked. Perhaps a flaw in the name that will cause the child to be ridiculed later in life.
    Anonymous

• Perhaps it is because they really cannot decide on a name. With our youngest boy, we had no name until he was two days old. We were desperate to find a good name for him, Our families had no helpful suggestions as he was the 12th grandSON to be born in the family.
    I see nothing wrong with asking people for their opinions.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• ^^ I said if I had a boy I would name him Gabriel and call him Gabe, at the time my last name was Hoy. A Friend pointed out that Gabe Hoy comes out Gay Boy when said quickly. He's the only one that noticed out of all my friends and family.. glad I got a lot of opinions. lol
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• asking for a non biased opinion seems like a great idea to me. If you want to be a troll at least have the balls to NOT hit the anon button!!!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think sometimes you get more honest opinions from strangers who don't worry about hurting your feelings, especially if it's a poll.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 1:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think they are just getting opinions and ideas. If someone decides to use a name that they found here on CM then it means that someone suggested a name they really like. I'm sure they mentioned it to other people in their lives who they see regularly.
    Asking on the internet is just the modern way of how we used to look in baby naming books. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009