what would you do?

I live in a pretty small apartment complex in a not so great area in town. A lady and her three kids (15, 8 and 5) moved in across the hall. I don't really know anything about them other than she is recently divorced, works all day and leaves the oldest child to watch the younger ones while she's gone. The two younger kids roam the complex all day going to door to door asking if they can come in and play, if they see someone getting into a car they want to go to. They all seem like good kids but I'm worried about them. Like I said its not a good area of town and I know for a fact most of the people living here are into things those kids have no business being a part of. The older kid will randomly poke her head outside and ask if anyone has seen the younger kids, she's either inside with her boyfriend or at the apartment next door with much older guys (who again I know for a fact are up to no good). Cont.

Chandra034

Asked by Chandra034 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I feel funny talking to the mom because I've only seen her once or twice. The only time we've ever spoken she was coming in from work and I was outside with my son and her kids. She yelled hello and her name and I did the same. I kind of feel like its none of my business as a 15 year old should be able to stay home with her younger sisters. However, I would feel horrible if something happened to them.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i would notify the apartment manager or children services
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree with mandielynn - I would notify children's services - these kids need some structure & love!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would talk to her about it before going to authorities. I would say something along the lines of, "I know we don't know each other all that well, but I just wanted to let you know what is going on with your kids all day..." and tell her.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would appreciacte it if someone spoke to me first b4 going to authorities. she may have no idea her 15 yr old is not being responsible. I would tell her you dont mean to be in her business but you are home all day and you want her to be aware that the older sibling is not watching over the children and also the concerns about the nieghborhood and leave it at that. I wouldnt be judgemental or tell her you are going to call authorities (although you can if it doesnt change) just be nice mom to mom and tell her your concerns like you did to us. If nothing changes or she is rude I would later report it to authorities, but give her a chance to fix it first.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2009