step parent woes

need some serious advice. My boyfriend has a 8 year old that we get every other weekend....if his mom lets us. She has been really shady since she got her new boyfriend, so for a little over a year now and his son has been outta control. Now they are wanting to take him to the boyfriends hometown in Mexico and keep bothering my boyfriend so sign for a passport...I think he shouldnt do it---because this boyfriend of hers has been shady. He tried to attack my boyfriend after he took his son for a haircut! Needless to say any council we have seeked costs lots of money and we are barely making ends meet. We have a 1 year old at home. Its getting to the point that we are literally fighting to get him every other weekend, and she is already telling him that my boyfriend loves our son more than theirs...I am not sure what else to do?

chaoshappens

Asked by chaoshappens at 1:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Coming from the other side of this, my ex would not sign for a passport so I could take my son on a trip overseas. I went to court and got one anyway. Even with a passport for him, she still needs written permission from dad or a judge to take him out of the country to the specific destination and for a specific time period. So unless you all have a really good reason to deny this, chances are pretty good a judge will let her take him anyway.

If DH has a court order on visitation that says every other weekend, take her back to court for contempt of court for not allowing you the visitation. If he doesn't have one, he should get one then he is not just at the mercy of her whims all the time.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• have cps go see what's up. If there is something shady then let them use their lawyers and save your money or go to legal aid

Answer by admckenzie at 1:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i would not sign a passport so they will take the son out of country
    no way

was there ever court custody??
    why only every other weekend

my BF has 50/50 with his ex

go back to court
    and you do not need a lawyer
    court will assign a meditor

do not let them have a passport for this child!!
    Anonymous

• he does have visitation, every other weekend, but she only abides by that when she wants too. Like all last summer, she had her boyfriends family in and out of town, so even when it was our weekend, she was like, (the night before mind you) oh well we're doing this so there. and was like, ya know we arent planning things around your schedule......IT was our weekend and she was saying this....I really think that if they go to his hometown or whatever it is, they wont come back. You hear about this all the time on the news and such..I have tried to be open minded about it....but I feel as uncomfortable about it as my boyfriend does.
    chaoshappens

Answer by chaoshappens at 10:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2009