How can I get my 4 year old to stop pooping in his underware? HELP!!!!

My 4 year old son still poops his pants. Its getting to the point where I cant stand it anymore. We have tried what seem like EVERYTHING!! He does well for a couple days and then starts pooping his pants again. Its like he would MUCH rather do that than sit on the toilet. I NEED HELP, I HATE changing his pants....he seems WAy to old to be doing this still!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• mlregalado has a good point. Encopresis could be the culprit. With chronic constipation the colon becomes stretched out and the child loses the normal signals that it's time to poop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encopresis You should check with your doctor. Your son mignt not be able to help it when he has an accident.

My daughter also had a hard time with this. Once we had her on the laxative Miralax (sp?) we got her cleaned out and contiuned with laxative until her colon shrunk back up. She no longer had accidents after this.
    elsandscoots

Answer by elsandscoots at 1:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Get him some laxatives, he may have encopresis or he may just be having a power struggle. Give him the laxatives and make him sit on the toilet. After he is cleaned out give him fiber everyday at the same time until his body adjusts to pooping at that time. make sure he drinks plenty of water.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 2:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Does he have plenty of privacy? My friends daughter always hid to poop...once she was told that she could shut the bathroom door and go alone...she stopped having accidents.
    hopinforanother

Answer by hopinforanother at 10:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• OMG the person who suggested laxatives is a complete nut (no offense) you only give a child laxatives if they absolutely need it. My son didn't start pooping in the potty until right before his 4th birthday. Don't react when he does it, I noticed the more I reacted the more he did it. Once I kinda just let him go he seemed to ease up and within no time would poop in the potty whenever he had to go. It sucks and you may have to clean right many underwear but don't pressure him.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009