If someone was trying to be nice and knew you were struggling finacailly and went out and bought u a bunch of clothes like 400 dollars worth.. but they were from TARGET or WALMART and not names brand would you wear them and be greatful or refuse to wear them cuz of the name on the tag?

Me and My Fiancee were talking about this last night as a hypothetical sitatuion.. he grew up really poor and never had anything nice.. now he refuses to wear clothes unless the have a brand name on them.. most of his stuff was given to him or 2nd hand or clearnace but he still said he would refuse the clothes because they were not name brand.. I however told him that taht was really rude and superficial and i would DEFINATLEY wear them and be gratfeul.. just wondering wha others think

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• i could care less about labels, I'd be thankful that someone went out of their way to do that!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• wow. i would be greatful. i mean if it were like a couple shirts i would be like 'thanks' and wear them on laundry day (im not self conscious about labels but for someone who is) but $400 worth i would definitely wear them and tell everyone what a good person the other is
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would be very greatful for the clothes. I don't buy name brand now and could care less about clothes being name brand.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 1:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'd love $400 worth of new clothes from any store!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would be grateful, but it's obvious that your fiancee has some major insecurities about what people think of him. He thinks wearing a "certain brand name" makes him equal or better than he feels about himself--whether reality or just something he imagines.

Clothes do not make the person. The person wearing the clothes makes the person.

I've seen this behavior time and time again among brothers and sisters--from both the poor and rich ends of the financial spectrum. Some people who have little, yearn for so much, where the same poor sibling, could care less about money and material things, and on the flip side, those who had money growing up, can either become dependent on the money, or live without it!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I understand why he might feel that way, but boy I would just be thankful and appreciate their help.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would be very grateful that someone thought enough of me to do that. And there are some brand names (such as Nike) that I refuse to wear at all, bc of their child labor involvement.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'd be grateful. If the clothes fit and I liked them then I'd keep them. If I really didn't like them or if they didn't fit then I'd bring them back to the store and exchange them for things that either fit or that I need around the house. Either way I'd be very thankful to have such a giving person in my life.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Be happy with what you have and what you have given to you. Refusing to wear those clothes would be a slap in the persons face that bought them. I came from next to nothing and I admit I make great money now but I still buy clothes from Wal-Mart, etc. I want my daughter to grow up knowing that she doesn't have to wear the best, the best isn't always the best quality. It is just a NAME! People need to get over themselves. Spend less on your clothes and more on giving your kids the experiences that you never got.
    Anonymous

• I am not too good to wear off label or no label clothes.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009