Why can't White People be victims of Hate crimes?

"Under questioning, Attorney Gen. Holder was surprisingly forthright in admitting that the hate bill is not intended to protect everyone, or even the majority. He said only historically oppressed minorities were to benefit. This means Jews, blacks, homosexuals, women, etc. Holder made it clear that if a white Christian male, including a serviceman or police officer, was the victim of a violent hate crime by any minority he would have to find redress from traditional law. He could not avail himself of the triple penalties and rapid government/justice system response given a protected minority."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• He said only historically oppressed minorities were to benefit.

This is ridiculous. Where does this leave mixed-race people? What about a black Christian? I think our laws should protect all people.

Come to think of it, I think that hate crimes are already covered by traditional law. If you injure or harrass anyone, whatever your motives, it's wrong.

I have to wonder if this bill has another motive.

Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 1:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• White people have been victims of hate crimes. Not all gay people are black you know!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• source for the quote?

As for your title...of course white people can be victims of hate crimes.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 1:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Pretty sad. My husband was jumped by 3 black men last year. They screamed racial slurs the entire time and a group of other black people were yelling stomp that white boy. My husband was simply returning a wallet he found to a woman in this neighborhood. He was walking to his car when he was jumped from behind. The woman who he returned the wallet to thankfully called the police and reported what was being said and actually videoed part of it. They were never charged with a hate crime since it was black on white violence. They each got only 3 year sentences and daily we are called and told by their family they will finish the job when they get out. One of the men called and threatened to rape my white a$$ and would make my pasty white kids watch. These guys were part of a racist group. If they had been charged under the hate crimes law they would never get out. Really pathetic. Racism is racism.
    Anonymous

• Damn! That sucks!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• It sounds to me like Justice is no longer blind. Two people get into an argument for whatever reason. The black person kills the white person, he is tried and sentenced to 20 years. If the white person kills the black person, he is charged with a "hate crimes enhancement", the sentence is tripled, and he is jailed for 60 years. Nobody should be killing anybody, of course, but equal crimes deserve equal punishment regardless of the color of the victim and perpetrator.
    Anonymous

---
    Why would you say not all gay people are black anyway. No where did it say that only gay people are black. However it did say: "He said only historically oppressed minorities were to benefit. This means Jews, blacks, homosexuals, women, etc." So one could gather that even a gay white woman would be covered by this wacked out umbrella of hate crime victims. Black people aren't the only minority, you being a woman makes you fall right in that catergory no matter what race you are.
    Anonymous

• I'd like to see your direct source for this because I googled your quote and all I can find are right wing propaganda blogs that are paraphrasing at best. I haven't seen any direct quotes from Mr. Holder.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• SriveroC. look at
    http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=3943
    the relevant passages are 58.30-61 minutes (Sessions) and 71.30-5 minutes (Coburn).
    Sorry, I don't know how to make the address clickable.
    Anonymous

• I know anonymous! I was making a smart-ass point! I wasn't saying gay people are black. i'm saying...duh...there are gay people who are white and are victims of hate crimes so it's not true that just the "minorities" are victims of hate crimes and that white people are not.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2009