What do you think about homeschooling?

Hollytree

Asked by Hollytree at 1:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I loved homeschooling my grandkids.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think homeschooling is great for those that it works for. I think the person who homeschools their kids are much braver, stronger, smarter, and more patient than i am cause i know i couldnt do it.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. I think my kids will do better in an environment outside the home with teachers trained to work with them (I know, it's getting harder to find these people!). I can only teach so much and am willing to admit other. Others are perfectly capable of teaching their child for at least all elementry school levels and others can go longer. Just not something I think I'd want to do.
    Anonymous

• I think it is fantastic if a mom or dad really wants to do this for their child. Most of the home school kids I know are polite, have manners and usually are more advanced than those in public school. I considered it but realize I would not be very good at it and send my kids to a wonderful private school.

Anonymous

• I know I don't have the dedication to do it correctly. I know I could do it easily if it weren't for that little problem. lol

For those who can...kudos to you!

I think some parents are cut out for it...and others, no way. There are some who shouldn't do it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I am in with a program called K12 where it is a combination of homeschooling and charter schooling. Three days a week they are home with me and two days a week they go to school. It works out very well. I also get a break. LOL
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 2:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I disagree with homeschooling. Some people prefer it, I'm one that doesn't. Public school has a lot of problems just as homeschooling does. Public school opens more doors for colleges and careers. Most home schooling programs are not seen as credited the way public school is. I'm sure there are some that have home schooled that haven't had issues getting in to college but it's not the same as public school.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• if it works for you great

its not for me thats for sure.

but just keep an open mind and if your kids ask to go to a 'real' school then let them - don't use homeschooling as a way to keep your kids tied to the apron strings (like so many do) because you're afraid to let them go and grow up.

many do that, but many that I know homeschool because it works better for their families and allows them more freedoms to travel and whatnot.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Homeschooling is great if done correctly. Children need to be prepared for the "real world." The need deadlines, due dates and grades. They need to learn that they need to work hard and if you don't then there are consequences. I also think that you need to make sure they are involved in things in the community, such as scouts, sports and such to make friends.

Anonymous

• Most of the previous answers show that those folks don't know very much about homeschooling. I have homeschooled two children for the past 11 years. My 18 year old went to college early last year with the dual enrollment program in our state and my 16 year old son will graduate high school with an associates degree from college. They had no problems with the myth of socialization or with deadlines, working in groups, or any of the other "concerns" people bring up about homeschoolers. Homeschoolers consistently do better in college than their peers from public schools. They have already learned how to manage their time and how to study. Most freshmen don't really know how to do either one.
    As far as not being able to homeschool...well, if it was what was best for your child, I'm sure most of you would figure out a way to do it. We all want to expose our kids to the best possible education. Most public schools are NOT the best.
    jilly558

Answer by jilly558 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009