tummy time?

at what age should i introduce tummy time?
My dd is 3 weeks old and im not even sure how to introduce tummy time.
Any suggestions?

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 1:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as they are born you should start trying to do it. It strengthens their neck muscles so they learn to hold their head up on their own. Just put your baby on the floor on a blanket or even lay your baby on your chest sometimes my little one would hold up her head on my chest because she would scream and cry on the floor she hated tummy time. the more you do it though the more they get used to it. Use a toy or something for them to watch while their on the floor or a toy that lights up or just something for them to fixate on.
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ahh.. tummy time.

At that age, I used to give my boys about 5 minutes *SUPERVISED* after their diaper changes. A lot of those times, tummy time was actually lying on their tummies on my chest. It gave them tummy time, as well as mommy time, and gave me some enforced rest.

"What, get up and wash the dishes? But the baby just got settled down, I can't get up!" ;)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• SHE MIGHT BE A BIT YOUNG BUT YOU CAN TRY. GET A MIRROR LIKE SURFACE AND PLACE HER IN HER TUMMY ON TOP, GUIDE HER TO FIND HER REFLECTION, MUSIC IS IMPORTANT, PLAY SOMETHING MELLOW AND SOOTHING, SING TO HER, EITHER A NURSERY RHYME OR MAKE UP ONE OF YOUR OWN. IF YOU FEEL SHE MIGHT BE TOO YOUNG FOR THE MIRROR, PLACE HER IN A SMOOTH AND SOFT BLANKET, YOU CAN USE BABY OIL TO GENTLY MASSAGE HER BACK AND HER LEGS AND ARMS, ALL THE WHILE SINGING TO HER A SOOTHING SONG, HECK I AM RELAXING JUST TYPING THIS!!! AS SHE GETS OLDER INCORPORATE A HAND PUPPET, THEY GET MESMERIZED AT THOSE, GOOD LUCK!!

Answer by older at 1:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son hated tummy time until he was about 4 months old but if you lay a blanket down on the floor or even lay her on her tummy in her crib, she may sleep that way. The only way i could get him to get tummy time was naps on my chest and things like that so maybe you should try to introduce it like that. He would sleep forever like that and we both got great naps in. Introducing tummy time like that is also a great way to bond with your child. Once your daughter can hold her head up for 30 sec to a minute at a time was when the pediatrician said to start laying the baby on the floor on a blanket or in the crib. Let me know if this works!
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 2:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You should have started from birth. Definitely start now. (otherwise, you'll be here later asking what to do because she hates it so much)

When she's awake, just put her on her tummy for a few minutes and show her some toys, a book, your face and talk to her, etc. Just do it as long as she will tolerate it.
    Anonymous

• Babies do not need tummy time. My daughter always hated it and she's always had extremely good muscle tone. Seriously, tummy time was invented so mom's have an excuse not to hold their kids.
    Anonymous

• Tummy time was a hassle at first with my son. We learned to lay him on a pillow for tummy time. What was good about it was he was able to wiggle at first and it helped get trapped air bubbles out. Tummy time helps with muscle tone too. You can even lay her on her tummy across your lap when you are watching tv. Tummy time with baby massage is a good combo like a previous reply said.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would play with her on her tummy since a week old-- she's nine months now. I started by playing with her on the changing table. I would show her how to roll over, I think i waited till she was a few more weeks for this though... I would put her on her tummy and put my hands at her feet so she could push on them a bit. She would do this for literally seconds until she started to get upset and I would stop. I did this several times a day and then it was all downhill from there. Every week got easier and she would last a little longer each week. By one month she was holding her head up like a champ and we were playing on the floor together for tummy time- maybe 5 minutes tops (on a good day) but again, we did it several times a day. When I say play, I don't mean like real playing... that's what I always thought. I would just show her shapes and colors-- mostly on our pillows or blankets... good luck
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• tummy time is very important so they learn to lift their heads and develop the muscles for crawling - my guy gets about 30 min a day on his activity mat. he enjoys it even when he's struggling with the legs and arms to get them moving!! and sometimes he'll even put himself to sleep with it as well...
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009