Do you want your child to have a particular teacher/type of teacher and if so do you ask the school for that teacher or ...

hope your kid gets that teacher? this is for parents of 3-5th grade (cause my girl is in the 4th grade) and she had interactions with a couple of fourth grade teachers last year that I ended up at the school becuase the teacher so upset my child she either had a panic attack or an asthma attack or both. SO is there a particular teacher (no names needed unless you feel like) or type of teacher you want or your child wants? Do you ask the school to put your kid in that class or do you wait and hope your kid got the teacher you/they wanted? What do you do if you believe from previous experience (like my daughter with these two teachers) or other parents that that teacher may not be the best person to teach your child?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 1:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in

• Actually my gs handwrote to the principle at the end of the school yr as to which teacher he wanted personally. Most times when a request is made it is honored, but the request must be put in on the final day of the school yr prior to the start of summer break.

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• This year our oldest is going into 5th grade, the fifth grade teacher that was returning is a very nitpicky personality. My son's spirit is crushed in the atmosphere. My DS loves learning and does really well in a class where the teacher is a bit more relaxed. Since we didn't know who the other teacher would be we thought it was best to take our chances with the unknown teacher. We requested he not be put in the nitpickers class.
    So we shall soon see if it was a good choice, as school starts on Monday.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• When my son is ready for school... I want a teacher who takes no crap - a teacher that is not afraid to put a child in their place - but is also fun and energetic. I think part of the problem in schools now is that the teachers are so afraid of kids going home and complaining to their parents that they don't discipline anymore!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• There is only one class per grade at my kids' school so there is no choice. If they are in a certain grade they get that teacher. So far we have liked all the teachers (we've had contact with 4 of them for grades K-3rd). Next year my oldest gets a teacher we don't know for 4th. The other 2 have teachers we've dealt with before in 1st and 2nd grades.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I always look for a teacher that is really great at communicating. I don't care if it's good or bad. Just communicate. Don't take offense if I ask a question about my son. I want a teacher that will call me and not be afraid to call me and let me know that she has concerns about my child...again good or bad...My son had the best teacher last year. She was great at communicating. I just feel so strongly about this that everything else will fall into place.  I ask around about other teacher's. I will ask parents at school events and I have even asked my son's teacher from last year. Yes, I put her on the spot but, she knows that I only have the best interests of my son. She has kids too. This year, I don't know who he will get, but, I pray that he will get another great teacher like he had last year. Every teacher is different and I will keep that in mind.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Check with your schools policy. I knew my son needed a certain kind of teacher and requested her, the policy was 'no, parent's can't make requests'. The school secretary made sure my son ended up in another class, but luckily the teachers also realized my son needed a particular teacher, and made the changes necessary!!!

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Last year when checking out the school board agenda I saw the name of a teacher I had worked with. She had been a long-term sub and finally was hired as a third grade teacher at my son's school. He was going into third. I kept my fingers crossed as did he. I was so happy to see he was in her class. I knew what she was like and I knew I could communicate with her. this year I don't know any of the 4th grade teachers but since I work in the school district I will get to know them at some point so if there is a problem I am sure it can be handled. I am not worried at all. If he does I keep telling him he is due for a bad teacher. We have all had them.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009