How do I get my 25-year-old daughter off the internet and motivated about life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• If its your internet take the modem. If its not dont worry about it shes happy the way she is.
    Anonymous

• you sound like my sister trying to get me offline. Have you ever considered cyberspace IS her life and she's happy there? I have a great social life online. I have so much of what makes me happy here. I'm a researcher and writer at heart and I have everything that's important to me at my fingertips. I can link to any online friend and ask advice if I get stumped. Try to see things from her perspective. You know that your way isn't always the right way for everyone else. Talk to her and see what her goals are. I bet they are online oriented and that's not really a bad thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Sounds like she's being a bum. Give her an ultimatum to get a job, get into college or get the fook out of your house!
    Anonymous

• It sounds like the 25 year-old is acting like a 13 year-old. Your daughter still lives at home? Doesn't have a job? Isn't self sufficient? Yes, that is a bum. She should be more than willing to be a productive member of the household and not laze about all day online. Make her move out and find a job.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If she is working and productive let her be lazy on the computer. If not tell her to shape up or leave.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 2:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If she lives at home under your roof, set your foot down but if she is out on her own then leave her alone to live her life however she pleases. If she isn't asking you for money or help then it isn't any of your business.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 2:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• dissconnect the mouse from the computer. Go to the power supply box and shut off the power to her room. Change the locks on the doors. Charge rent and be a real landlord, no rent, no bed
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Unless she is living with you...you don't. She's an adult with the pink slip on her life. If she lives with you give her 30 days to have a job and get out.
    paralegal09

Answer by paralegal09 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If she is living with you and that is all she does is sit and play online every day - CUT HER OFF! I agree - 30 days, job or OUT!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009