How would you handle this......??? Oh I am infuriated if thats even a word!

my husband and I left enought money to cover our bills that are automatically withdrawn from our account, but however now we are being charged 30 dollars for being overdrawn 49 cents!!!! I looked at the statement online and discovered our Internet bill had raised $3.98 causing us to overdraw. There was no notification of fluctuation in the bill, I called them and all they could say is this is our new charge that will begin as of yesterday! how freaking lovely .....how would you handle this would you fight? uuurrrgghhhh i am soooo mad.

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Unfortunately, it happens. I'd continue to argue....with the company and bank. I think anything under 5 dollars is stupid to be charged an overdraft fee.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My hubby would definitely argue it until the overdraft fee is was not charged. He deals with things like that very well.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You'll need to review your contract with the ISP, first. If they were obligated to inform you of the rate change, then they are responsible for the overdraft fee. If there is any language about rates subject to change without notice, you're not clear...but that shouldn't be the case. You are supposed to get the option to change providers.

You MIGHT be able to get the bank to waive it on grounds that it was an unauthorized fee increase.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Most banks, if you ask nicely, will waive the fee assuming that this is a rare event for you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'd take the money down to cover the excess charge, then talk to a bank manager. Explain to them the situation and ask nicely if they'd take off the overdraft charge since you barely received notice in time to cover the extra. Then I'd go home and call the internet provider really raise a ruckus that you weren't notified sooner and it caused you to get an overdraft charge. I did that with our satellite provider and ended up with 4 months free service.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would also speak with the bank manager - explain that you were unaware that the internet was raising their fee. In the future - I would keep AT LEAST $50 in that account to prevent this from happening.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2009