WTH is wrong with my dog?

Okay i have an 11 year old daschund chow mix who has been a real pain the butt lately. He used to be content to sleep all night with my husband on their couch but the last six months or so he gets up 2 or three times a night wanting to go out and my husband cant tune out whining from anybody so he gets up and lets him out and stays awake waiting for him to come back to the door. WE cant put in a doggy door cause we live in an old trailer that has metal doors and the door would lower the effacacy of the door (make it easier to break in) we take his food up at night and we make sure he goes out right before we go to bed but still hes up and down all night? i really dont know what to do his doctor says there is no medical reason (bladder problems etc) for him to be doing this? so why is he doing it and how do i make him stop?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 2:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pets

• Dogs that age are like elderly people. There really isn't anything you can do besides let him stay out side at night.
    Anonymous

• He's just getting old and his doggy body is feeling it.
    Anonymous

• There's nothing "wrong" with him --- he's simply getting old. It happens to us all. You can't make him stop. It's beyond his control.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Get him wee wee pad trained. When our dog got older we laid a wee wee pad down at night for him so he could go when he needed.
    Anonymous

• Poor baby... what a mix though, lol! If your vet gave him a clean bill of health, checked for diabetes (which would lead to frequent urination), then he probably is just getting old. It happens unfortunately.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 2:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The wee wee pad training is not a bad idea! If he is smaller you can even look into getting a large size litter box and litter training him. We had to do that for one of our dogs; we used a small sandbox. It sounds like he is just getting older. For a medium breed dog, that would mean he is around 70 years old! Try some method of training him to go at night, but be aware it is not his fault and he's not crazy! He just needs a little more TLC in his old age :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Hi - you may want to give some cranberry supplements and nuvet wafers - for urinary health.

I know you mentioned he is healthy but supplements can be great for elderly canines..

SEE here for links to herbs: 

( this is for dogs with kidney troubles but it helps to prevent stones, too)

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/4/Pet-dog-food-1.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 7:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yeah, my terrier mix (8 yrs old) is changing a bit also. I wonder what he will be like next year. I think this is the first dog I've ever had that when he goes to doggy heaven, it is going to crush my son and I.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• He is aging...when you get older you will pee more too.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:06 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Sounds like he's just getting older. It happenss tto all of us, including dogs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Jul. 23, 2009