what to do with step child

My step daughter has been a handful since the day we moved in together. She manipulates and lies. She is now telling lies about me. Which of course her mother totally believes (she never thinks that the kid could be making it up) These are lies that people could think abusive. She tells her friends that I "call her every name in the book" and that I yell at her friends when they come to the house and tell them to never come back. She also tells her mom that her dad spents no time with her, that we tell her to go entertain herself so the two of us can be alone. She has always told these stories. She used to tell people that we starved her. Now, that was because we didn't allow her to have dessert if she didn't eat her dinner. But these other things are completely untrue. The mother is no help because she believes these stories and the mom herself is quite a story teller.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have you tried? I mean really *tried*? Hang out with her, just the two of you. Have a girls day. Take her to lunch and a movie. Show her that you're not a bad guy.

I_Am_A_Rock

Answer by I_Am_A_Rock at 2:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• how old is step daughter
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• How old is she? I have step children. I agree with the above comment. You REALLY REALLY have to make an effort. Go over and beyond. She must feel insecure to lie all the time. Sometimes it can take a long time. I have been with my DH for 5 years now. (married for 2). And I just now am feeling his kids accept me.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 2:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009