No processed food?

For people who eat no processed food, how much do you typically spend for how many people? Where do you shop? Do you eat anything processed? What are good recipes, or books, or websites? Anything else you want to tell me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We eat mostly organic food, I make my own bread, but that's about all I make from scratch.
    There's processed foods then there is processed foods. Processed doesn't always mean its bad for you, it's what they put into it as they are processing it. We eat an organic version of hamburger helper which is actually healthy. I shop at Whole Foods, they have many recipes, what I don't find there I google. I can't think of one good site that covers everything, usually I just use the organic version of whatever the recipe calls for.
    Our food bill is around $300.00 a week - for 4 people. 2 adults 2 children ages 2 and 4 years.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 3:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Depends on what your definition of processed is. I use condiments like ketchup, mustard, Miracle Whip, etc. and cans of condensed soups to cook. I don't use Hamburger Helper, boxed meals, premade meals, convenience foods, etc. if I can help it, not always for health reasons but for COST. I have less than $250 to spend on all groceries for a family of 7, 4 adults & 3 tweens.
    I make bread, buns, spaghetti sauce, pizza, taco seasonings, salad dressings, pancake syrup, baked goodies all from scratch. I KNOW that if I had to I could find recipes for the ketchup, Miracle Whip & condensed soup mixes. I LOVE www.recipezaar.com and www.topsecretrecipes.com for those recipes and more.
    As for where I shop? Farmer's markets once in a while, otherwise it's Dollar General and a salvage grocery store for pantry & produce items, bulk food store for flour, oatmeal, cornmeal, spices, etc, convenience store for eggs & milk.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I spend $60-80 a week for three people. Other than my daughter's four day bout of H1N1, none of us have been sick for over two years. Other than mild seasonal allergies (spouse and child) and mild (no longer medicated) asthma (me), we have no chronic illnesses.

We shop primarily at Costco and Trader Joes; also ethic produce markets and the occasional tri to Whole Foods.

I will be happy to send you a bunch of tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• We don't eat processed food and it's actually cheaper than buying processed food. I make healthy well rounded dinners for 5 people for $5 to 7 a meal (and my husband is a big eater).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2009