If you use childcare services, do you send your child to a home based daycare or a center?

I run a home based childcare. Soon to be licensed. I was wondering what mothers thought about the pros and cons of both or why they preferred one over the other? Also.. qualities do you look for when you interview someone. Thank you for your thoughts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• My girls go to a home based childcare provider a couple days a week and I love it for many reasons. The home is always clean, they get well balanced, home cooked meals and snacks, my children always come home in the same condition I left them in (sometimes she even does their hair all pretty) not all filthy like they have from the daycare facilities I have used once or twice for a back up, my daycare provider knows my children inside and out and gives them each the individual attention they need and deserve and, above all, my provider is like an extended part of our family. My oldest has been going there since she was 1, my youngest since my maternity leave was over. I knew it was the perfect place when I walked in her door for the interview and felt at home right away, felt very welcomed and saw that she had children that had been in her care for years. Best of luck to you and your business!
    Anonymous

• I use an au pair service for my childcare (Cultural Care). An au pair is a live-in male/female between the ages of 18-26 who are from another country and would like to come to America to take care of children while improving their English. I love it because it offers my kids a chance to see other cultures and learn another language. They live with you, so you don't have to wake your kids up early in the morning to get them off to daycare - they get your kids off to school (even drive them if necessary), they pick them up and help with homework, get your kids off to sports/dance/music lessons, etc... and even help with light household chores. It is a great program and it costs similar to daycare/afterschool care, if not less than that (especially if you have more than 1 child).

tmaskew

Answer by tmaskew at 2:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My kids are in a daycare center and I love it. The teachers really care about my girls and it shows in how my older daughter talks about her teacher (my youngest doesn't talk yet) My (almost) 2 year old thrives on the structure that she gets while going there. She eats and naps better at daycare better than she does at home. And they're always safe and happy and clean when I pick them up. I would recommend my daycare to anyone. I think that for daycare centers and at home daycares, the quality really depends on the individual place, either can be really wonderful or really horrible.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I use a day care center and love it. The teachers are great with my daughter and they all really like her. She still stops by the baby room to say hi to her old teacher. I like that there is more structure (in general), no sick days (what do you do when you are sick? Is there back up?), strong precations (such as finger scanning to get into the building), and the best part is the interaction. I'm sure educaiton and quality of care can be comparable at in home and centers, but you're not going to find a room full of toddlers at the in home. So she's learning how ot interact with peers, saying sorry and please, standing in line, and just plain learns from watching. Plus, there is this one really cute little boy in the older room who is her "buddy" and watches out for her and if she falls he's right there to help her up. It's cute! (I know, has nothing to do with her being in a day care)
    Anonymous

• I use a home based day care. We love her and have grown quite close to the whole family. I feel like I am leaving my kids with family actually. I love knowing my kids have other children to play with and are well cared for.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My oldest has been in both. What I liked about the home based one.. is that she's in a home with other kids. What I hated about it was that the lady lied to me telling me she had backup just in case something happened. Well she had closed the center 3 times the 3 months she was there and my final straw was she had gotten really sick and couldn't do it. She had no back up and I was screwed until I found another daycare with an opening. What I like about the center daycares.. is the only days i had to worry about were the ones with really bad weather which is rare. They were open everything.. if one of the ladies had to call off, they always had something figured out.
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 6:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009